Haggling for price?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jackman, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

I am a natural born haggler when I buy a big ticket item such as a 8,000 dollar lawn mower, is this a smart thing to do or should I just pay there price and keepem happy? What do you do haggle or just fork over your hard earned money?
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I weigh all the options. I decide if its really worth the long term relationship to haggle now or get great service later. Remember, you don't like customers haggling with you, why would a dealer be any different?

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

With mowers try to get something added on at a discount or thrown in with the deal. Plugs, oil extra blades or belts. I think my dealer has more room to play with the extras than the mower. BUT, remember that you have to go back to him for service, so be nice. I think it's OK to ask "what is the best that you can do", but than take it or leave it, don't become a jerk.
  4. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I have learned that 9 out of 10 times a haggler is more trouble than he's worth. So I stick to my price. If they want cut-throat prices, they can call the good honest folks at TGCL.