Haggling with Lesco?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowtown Mike, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Mowtown Mike

Mowtown Mike LawnSite Member

I am considering a few products from a Lesco Dealer up here in Albany NY. I am looking at the Turf Renovator for $3000 and the truck mounted leaf vacuum $2195. Can you haggle the price with the manager of Lescos or is the price fixed and he can't do anything?

Are these prices fair? If not, let me know of some good deals, (used or new). I am gearing up for the fall season. Thanks Mike

2. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it maybe a waste of time, unless they are about to move the product to get JD's in store?
    I know they won't budge on fertilizer for small fry's like myself.

3. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I am told that dealers dont usually make enough money on the stuff they sell. If you haggle the price then they cant really afford to give good service and they may even go out of business. Just what Ive been told.

4. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Lesco stores are company owned and the workers will get paid no matter how much they sell. Thats a load of crap they told you we can't offer good service or go out of business.
    I used to manage a store for a company that has over 2000 stores but in a different industry than lawns. We were able to sell equipment at a certain margin and if it needed to be lower we had to get authorization but also lots of times the vendors would give us discounts on equipment and we could either take the additional profit or use it to lower a price to beat a competitor.
    Guysd would always haggle with us. I hated it!

5. blankenshiplawncare

blankenshiplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Like any business the more volume you do with it the larger discounts offered. I'm sure your attitude changes when a customer with multiple accounts offers you all of them. You normally offer some kind of discount. I can tell you that we spend about $3000.00 per month with them on hydroseeding material and I personally get a really good deal.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Lesco often has "promotions" and "programs" and "discounts" going on, about to expire, or about to start. Plus sometimes they will cut their customers with commercial accounts some slack.

Just ask... the worst they can tell you is that you have to pay full price.

But as far as haggling like you would with your regular "hometown dealer"... no, it wouldn't work in that manner. It would be sorta like trying to haggle with the manager of your local walmart.