1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

HAHA! Gotta love infringment over the internet!

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by JDUtah, Mar 29, 2008.

1. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

So a week ago I am browsing a local add listing online and ran across a guy advertising aerations. He is one of the MANY lowballers out here that charge just as much to aerate as to mow. Anyways the image he is using to sell it is one from my website.

I call him up and ask.. "How are you today?"

He says "Good and you?"

"I'm good. Now tell me, are you interested in a copyright infringement lawsuit today?"

"No why?"

"You stole a picture from my website?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Your aeration add."

"Oh... I uh got that from... My girlfriend put that add online."

"No, you mean you got that form my website. I expect the picture to be off by the end of the day."

"I'm at work, but I will as soon as I get off."

"OK. thank you"

HAHA! That night the image wasn't just gone. He deleted the whole add!

Good for kicks and giggles!

Then today I am browsing the net and come across an image that is the mowing guy on my logo. Some landscaping supply company in Australia is using it as clipart on their site? Weird. But I politely asked the site developer to remove it via E-Mail. No response yet.

The first story I don't really care about. In fact I wouldn't have pressed anything considering lawyer costs and the like. The logo one kinda bugs me because that is something we developed for our own image and brand recognition. And now you search images.google.com for mowing and it is the number one image, at least on our local google search server. dough!

Good sides? I must be developing things well enough if people want to use them? Bah. But still worth a chuckle!

PS, do you think my new site is too wordy and discourages browsers? http://www.jdmowers.com/web2/Index.php (sorry it is only the home page)
    You SEO guys should recognize what I am trying to do.
  2. bishoplandscape

bishoplandscape LawnSite Member

Isn't the picture on your web page stolen from someone or did you buy rights to it??? I searched couldn't find your mower guy but did find this!

3. H2O

H2O LawnSite Member
    from MA

"Oh... I uh got that from... My girlfriend put that add online." LOL, cant tell ya how many different versions of your phone conversation i've heard.

Dont forget to send the scumbag THIEF an invoice for usage!

You will ENJOY this, “Geek wins Copyright Lawsuit Against Corporation”, no lawyer needed...

My standard practice is to send 1 email and give 24 hours to react to my © Infringement Notices.
    If Australia does not respond, file DMCA (found on each and every search engine) or Download a PDF version of the DMCA from the Library of Congress web site.

“The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (DMCA) grants owners of copyrighted material who have published that material on the Internet special protections, enabling copyright owners to have violators' web sites quickly removed from the Web. By sending DMCA notifications to the major search engines and Web directories, you can cause a web site to be de-linked, and by sending a notification to the Webmaster's ISP, you can have the site taken down.

My suggestion, for added protection of your © photos and images you should consider a robots text file with...

User-agent: Googlebot-Image
    Disallow: /
    Disallow: /cgi-bin/

User-agent: Yahoo-MMCrawler

User-agent: psbot

User-agent: MSNBot-Media

User-agent: MSNBot
    Disallow: /*.jpeg$
  4. JDUtah

from UT

Lol, maybe I should use that in the logo and for work... after all it is reel!!

No I made the guy myself. Took a snapshot, rotated it, skewed it, and used it to outline my mowing guy. All my work. The other pic on my site I made in photoshop. So both are yours truly originals. :)
  5. JDUtah

from UT

Haha thanks! I wasn't too serious about anything but since it seems easy enough and no real cost it will be an option. Thanks again.