1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnranger44, May 17, 2005.

1. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

Bid a cleanup job at $680 the other day, gave the lady the quote she says "Oh wow you doubled the other company's quote." I was flabbergasted.

Sure nuff, my brother saw some guys loading up sticks and stuff into the back of their jeep there today! :D

Don't care that I lost the job, just think its funny.
  2. heavenlydeere

heavenlydeere LawnSite Member

no kiddin!!! i love it when i bid a job with a fair price and someeone out bids me!! hahaha indeed!!! you didnt say how big or give details but if its like my area you probably would have liked to have said $1680! and if the other guy did it for around 300 , i bet he loved that job !!! let em have it!!!
  3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Don't laugh. Next week the Jeep will have a trailer behind it.
  4. greenwithenvylandscape

greenwithenvylandscape LawnSite Member

I just bid a DR. office at $620 and the office mgr called me and said the fax wasn't clear and asked if it was $62. I said hehehe...no...um $620. She said she had 2 other bids, one for $150 and one for $200. I let her know that the job would cost me more than $200 in materials and labor (5 yds of mulch, dump fee, etc.) She said the one guy wasn't even going to use mulch, he was going to install stone. I wished her luck.
  5. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I bid a job to haul/install washed stone last year for a driveway. Customer wanted 25 tons of #67 stone spread and blended into an existing gravel drive. I bid $700 for materials and labor. At $20 a ton for materials/delivery that left $200 labor cost. I figured it would tie up 2-3 hours at most. A couple of days later I went by to make a followup contact with the customer to find a guy with a longbed 1/2 ton pickup, one shovel and a rake..... I kept on driving!
  6. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

can we unionize landscapers to make these prices the same, i am tired of losing mowing and mulching to some stiff who will do it for peanuts.
  7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Ya got to love it! The jeep thing is great. I think my neighbor is looking into becoming a lawn care/landscaper. We just moved into our new house and as soon as the weather broke he was over asking if I was hiring, I said kindly no not at this time. Well he has been over asking and leaving his resume in my door at 6AM! :sleeping: Well I thought I saw him load a mower and electric trimmer and a broom into the trunk of his car the other day, and you gussed it a new scrub is born. He has woked several several places for no more than a few years at a time and none of it has been with any lawn service. So you can bet he will be the $10.00 cut guy.
  8. justin234

justin234 LawnSite Member

Did everyone here start out as a scrub or did most of you become professionals over night?

Personally - I would like to become a professional over night. More money. More respect. How did you do it?
  9. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow LawnSite Member

I don't want to piss anybody off, but just because somebody under bids you doesn't make them a "scab" or "lowballer". Maybe the person has a legit business, but works for themself and doesn't have the overhead that you may have so they can afford to have a lower bid than you.
  10. greenwithenvylandscape

greenwithenvylandscape LawnSite Member

When we talk about "scrubs" we are talking about the person who works out of their trunk with crap equipment, no insurance and not paying taxes...not the legit guy with low overhead...at least that's how I take it.