Half acre for $18 revisited.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DennisF, Apr 14, 2005.

1. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

A few weeks ago I submitted a post about an LCO bid for a 1/2 acre lawn for $18 which included edging and trimming. I placed a bid of $27.50 and another bid was $25. The lowest bid was $18 (ridiculously low) and the customer took the bid. Well...the customer called me this afternoon and wanted another bid. I returned the call and declined the opportunity to bid again since my schedule is now full. The customer seemed to be irritated that I would not give another bid...so I had to ask why he needed another bid. Seems like the low bidder can't be found and the lawn is getting overgrown.

Now...I'm not trying to be a prude, but I wouldn't cut this Azzhole's lawn for twice the bid that I submitted. He's a cheapskate PITA.. and he and I both know it.

Would any of you LCO's go back and give him another bid or am I being un-professional by refusing.
  2. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I would politely say "my shedule is full so if I would take it on now the price will be higher" and throw something at him in the $40 range, if he is a true cheapskate, the yelling and swearing you get as a reponse will be great entertainment.
  3. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

to each is own, i may give another bid, depending on my schedule and how easy the lawn would be to mow. if it was a pain in the azz lawn i wouldnt, if it was wide open with little trim work i may, but my price went up as well.
  4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Damn, Dennis, you really need to move someplace where people actually have money. The numbers you're quoting would not get a quarter acre mowed around here. Yes, the cost of living is higher in northern Virginia, but not double where you are.
  5. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

If you do, get him to prepay or give you a deposit. Don't want to get burned by the PITA.
  6. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

1 free estimate is enough
  7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Another bid hell No the response would have gone like this. Sir I already bid on your lawn the price was $27.50 if that price is now acceptable I will mail you out a contract which you can sign and return to me. If my price is still to high for you why are you asking me to re bid your lawn nothing has changed other then you are back in the market for a lawn service. I do not play games sir I gave you my best price when we met and stand by it.
  8. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Should he say precisely that, word for word?
  9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Not sure Mark I could only post what I would say and have in the same situation in the past. I once re bid when I was very new in business with few accounts and it was for 3 group homes. I cut my prices and was disgusted at myself for doing it and thankfully Tru Green was still cheaper but never again. I dislike price shoppers intensely and do not recommend you play ball with them.
  10. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

mail a new quote with a gasoline surcharge added.