Half an overlay

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Team-Green L&L, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone ever done an overlay with half the materials on aggregate and half as an overlay? This one was a new experience for us. There's a custom deck going in to meet the paving. Demolition of crete was not an option.

img261ls.jpg

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

why was demo'ing the concrete out? I think its just the angle, but the part in the lawn appears to "fall off" away from the house at the edge of the concrete

3. Team-Green L&L

That's the angle. There was a chain link fence that was taken out and you can see that turf damage on the far side of the paving. That messes with the perception some. The pitch was continuous with the crete.

The guy wasn't hearing demo due to an old shower system that is located under the pad. I didn't argue, just bid it accordingly.

I am not extremely satisfied with the contour of the curve, but the customer was and I don't have to like it to install it.

4. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

how did you place the pavers on the concrete? adhesive?

5. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

we did a small patio last year with the same situation. the condo committee wouldn't let us remove the old concrete patio, but we could go over it and make it larger. ********!

anyway, we compacted the hell out of the sub-grade specially up against the existing pad. then we wrapped fabric from the base up and over the concrete pad covering the whole thing. then compacted out stone as normal, spending extra time along the edge of the concrete pad. screeded our sand as usual over the fabric on the patio. i did warn the customer that they may see settlement at the patio line and that we did everything that we could to prevent that. i don't think they will, but it is good to cover your butt.

6. Team-Green L&L

Yeah, we used PL on the edges, as recommended by ICPI contact.

7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I did a big concrete overlay last year. It was concrete overlay on the patio off the house and the pool deck. They are between the two was new walkway. I changed the angle of the pattern on the new section. When ever possible, i'd do my best to not have pavers on both concrete and base.

8. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a 300 ft/2 last year. I used 3 " for the soldier course Pl glue parallel to brick to let H2O drain out. Filter cloth around the soldier course to hold in sand. Screed 3/4" concrete sand in field and lay normal 2 3/8" pavers. Perfect !