Half Naked......!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Steiner, May 2, 2007.

1. Steiner

Steiner LawnSite Senior Member

Syracuse NY

Ok I rototilled and reseeded a customers lawn last summer (bad time I know) because it was neglected for years and was overgrown with weeds and had many bare spots.

This year it is still spotty. Is my best bet

1. rent a slit seeder (rent for 99 dollars a day)

2. weed and feed and hope it fills in. (yes I know the license issues)

3. Dethatch and hand rake and seed. (does this even work well? I find less than 50% germination rates, do you?)

Thank you

DSC02466.jpg

DSC02468.jpg

DSC02470.jpg

2. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

There seems to be a whole lot of thatch. Personally I would use a power rake with springs to remove the thatch. The springs are much less aggressive but still incredibly effective. They will leave some of the new sprouts behind. It's the only way I'll use a dethatcher, and you don't have to worry about sprinkler heads or anything like that.

I then vacuumed up the thatch and used an overseeder at overlapping 45 degree angles in the lawn to make sure I got strong germination. I think your thatch is acting as a mulch and keeping now growth from getting through.

I did this for a medium size area on my own lawn last fall and it worked wonders after grub damage and drought wiped it out.

3. Steiner

Steiner LawnSite Senior Member

I saw a STIHL dethatcher head on a weed whipper body. Any good?

4. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

core aeration and overseed at rate also apply starter fert or slice seed in would be best option but don't take up that thatch it is good organic matter

5. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

Topdress with a good quality compost, overseed and water diligently.

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Slit seeder with water a good fert with nitrogen,it seems like a bad time of the year but with plenty of water go.

7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like low PH to me. Test soil PH and if low ad lime, if PH is to low adding fertilizer will be a waste of money and wont do any good. Grass will not absorb fertilizer when PH is to low. I would test soil, core aerate, if needed ad lime, fertilize, overseed to assure good results.

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

LawnPro,

You can tell what the pH is by looking at a picture of a lawn?

Very impressive! :dizzy:

Steiner,

Pulling a soil sample is probably a good idea...but slice seeding is the best way to go in your situation!

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

DUDE I can't believe no one hear has said that if you complete #2 on your list your seed will not germinate.

Skip #2

10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I thought her was going to do 1 of the 3. Either slice, try and fert to thicken OR hand seed and scratch in.

If he is planning on doing all of them...then good catch.

You don't want to apply any herbicides to a new lawn until it has been mowed atleast a time or two.