1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

half off every 5th cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spin2098, Feb 12, 2004.

1. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

Here is something I thought of driving down the road. I have heard of some guys offer every 5th cut free. How about every 5th cut half off. Then you are breaking even maybe a little profit and catching the eyes of customers. Anyone ever try this? If so how did it go over? If not why?
  2. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

so your saying one week out of every 5 your gonna be just breaking even. Sorry sounds like a bad idea to be, i think any idea where your working and not making money is stupid.
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i personally know a guy who advertised "every 4th cut free". he was a dumb azz, nothing more. he got swamped with work, couldn't keep up, coulnt upgrade the equipment cus there was no money, he ended up having his phone disconnected, and closing his p.o box just to stop people from calling. good luck
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Why every 5th btw? We're not talking about something like getting a free drink from your favorite bartender every once in a while. Charity with me stays at home...
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i don't think that'd be a very sound business model. thats saying to them "in the long term, i'm making enough money off you that i can afford to just cut that 5th mow right in half everytime the whole season" of course if you're raking them over the coals enough you can cover the bases.

I'd much rather just offer that as a promotion (if at all) free 5th cut with every signing referral or something along those lines.
  6. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

OK I am not saying I am doing this at all. I was just wondering how those guys who offer every fifth cut or whatever for free how they made any money. Now here is some math I have done. I figure I am going to get 22 maybe 23 cuts per account per season. I am sorry I am not cutting someone's grass if it is brown and not growing like I have seen some people do in my area that is where I cut my number from. So based on that we will say 22 cuts. One of my accounts is $130.00 per cut. with not giving the half off that account brings in $2860. Now if I say every 5th cut half off I am giving four cuts at half off the account brings in $2600. I don't think I would be losing my shirt. Now in what you were saying BsDeality you could also look at it as hey because you are a loyal and good customer I am going to give you a discount and cut every fifth cut for cost that is how much your business means to me. The customer has to assume you are making a profit on them not ripping them off. Now as stated before I most likely won't do it but I might give it a try and see who knows lol.
  7. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I have a new offer that will be on my doorhangers(look in Elements of Business to look at them), I'm offering anyone that signs up to my service thier 5th cut Free. But only thier 5th cut! I have other special offers that clients can earn but to offer every 5th cut free is not to smart.
  8. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see a reason for working for nothing or half. I don't think the customer expects you to come over and and sweat in their yard anything less than a fair price . If you did that on all your accounts you would be killing yourself. Say you cut 60 yards the first week of April, now you get to the first week of May you will be cutting those same 60 lawns for the week and making zero or half. Plus I think billing could get to be alot more of a headache.
  9. iowapride

iowapride LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I would say if you have close to enough work forget about the 5th cut half off. If you are trying to gain more accounts, I can kind of see it but not every 5th cut, maybe a one time deal, or 25% off. You are in it to run a business not give it away.
  10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

After the first time, I don't think the customer is going to "really" appreciate it. After you do it once or twice it becomes expected and then you essentially just lowered your profit for nothing. Ya might as well just cut your rates by 20%. Same difference. Not a good idea IMO.