1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Half or 3/4 ton?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Aspenlawn, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Aspenlawn

Aspenlawn LawnSite Member

I am looking for a truck.
    For what I tow, a half ton is ideal.
    But if I want to have a 200 gallon sprayer in the back and tow my trailer...
    I am not sure I am doing myself any favors by working the half ton that
    hard.My trailer is a 14 foot Falcon open steel trailer, with a turf tiger, a 52" snapper WB and my little stuff.
    Any thoughts???

2. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

I'd go at least 3/4 ton. Every thing is heavier duty and you will be much better off in the long run
  3. Aspenlawn

Aspenlawn LawnSite Member

That was,and is my thinking.
    I am hearing a lot of praise for what a half ton can do.
    And for towing I completely agree.
    But when weight over the axles is involved,I tend to
    not want a lot of stress in my vehicle.
    Thanks for the reply.
  4. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

My weekly route takes me about 100 miles north and south of my shop. For 2 years I've towed a 16 ft trailer with two ztrs and equipment with absolutely no problems from my 1500 dodge at all. 200 gallons is 1600lbs. Centered correctly, a half ton will haul this all day long...even better if the trailer has brakes. I have no problems hauling bobcats or 8 yd. loads of mulch. save yourself some gas and insurance money and stick to half tons.
  5. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

3/4 ton truck
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

3/4 ton. Less wear and tear over time. Looks more professional IMO. It will work out better as well should your company grow and you get a larger trailer or larger equipment (like a compact tractor, or a snow plow)
  7. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I have a 2000 F250 and wish I had bigger. I have a downeaster dump insert in it and tow a 16 ft trailer with a 36 wb and a lazer plus all the small stuff for mowing. Now that I put the dump insert in (800 lbs.) it squats. I have my leaf box on now and when the box is full of leaves and towing the trailer it sits on the ground. Timbrens are smashed to the max and the tires bow. And when you brake hard on wet roads front tires can lock up and slide. I'd go as big as you can afford. It's better to have to much truck than not enough. Good luck 3/4 ton or bigger
  8. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

your fine on the towing part, but you can not put a 200 gallon tank in the back of a half ton, it will break.
  9. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

No counting the weight of the sprayer unit and pump, plus chemicals. I would count on this being right at a 2,000lb payload easy. The payload capcaity of a F-150 is 3,000lbs. So you have a little room to spare on the payload, but when you add the tounge weight of the trailer, you could be pushing the mak limits of the truck, and definetly at abotu the 75-80% capacity which will defeinetly shorten the life o fhte truck it you haul like this everyday. a 3/4 ton should be fine and that is what I would get.
  10. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

1 ton for me. Nothing smaller than 3/4 for towing.