Half Up Front for Landscaping?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Dixie Rob, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Dixie Rob

Dixie Rob LawnSite Member

Should I trust a landscape company that is wanting half up front?

I am good at landscaping, but like most working professionals, if I was going to do it myself it would take weeks most likely due to having a family and stuff going on. My wife has hired a landscape company, that seems very legit but they want half up front.

What do ya think? I partially own a decent size insulation company, and I have to say I've never asked for half up front on anything.
  2. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

I know that I do the same thing. For any landscaping jobs that I do, I require a 50% deposit especially if there are materials that I need. The only times that I dont require a deposit is if it an exisiting I have for say weekly lawn cutting then as long as it is not a big job, I would just bill at the end of the month. Just make sure that you have a contract signed with the guy, agreement on price and work to be done, dont just hand him a check and take his word for it, b/c w/o written proof of exactly what the work has to be done, thats when things can change and he could charge you more. Always have a signed agreement before giving any deposits.

3. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

50% deposit is my norm
    I do well into 7 figures annually, 95% residential jobs
    Always a signed proposal outlining the job
  4. TerraVenture

TerraVenture LawnSite Member

50% is normal for me. the down payment usuaaly covers material.
    the remainder is the labor so the customer is essentially paying for all the materials up front.
  5. JCinTx

JCinTx LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I always get half up front, and would say that is the norm. Sometimes it's 1/3 at contract signing, 1/3 the day we start and remainder when complete, just depends on the size and scope of project.
  6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

50% upfront on projects over $500. its all about cash flow. I've only had one couple who had a problem with it, I made an exception that day; when I showed up they handed me a check and I cashed it at lunch time at the local bank (we both use).
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes this is the normal operating mode for most landscape company's..get it in writing an estimate and agreement and get a receipt for any money you give them.
  8. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

That is something I tend to pass on doing. Sometimes I request $500.00, but most of the time I just don't ask for the money. It is something I seriously need to get into the habit of doing.
  9. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i only ask for a deposit for larg jobs so that if they stiff me i will not have to eat 5-10k in material. one job like that can put this one man show under. and in tennessee if you install the plant and they don't pay you and go back and remove them you will be charged with theft, as crazy as that sounds ....cause i have been there. i thought i would be jonny bad ass and repo some material that a guy stiffed me on. and i ended up in court over it. they pressed charges on me for theft over 500 and trespassing. so i had to file a theft of services and materials on them. costed me a fortune in lawers and court costs
  10. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Yes, I generally require a 50% deposit up front as well. I agree with Sheshovel it seems to be a normal thing that many companies do.