1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hall of hacks & pikers Photo's please.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Buck_wheat, Oct 29, 2010.

1. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

No pictures of the last one of the day no time just as the Sun had set. Real pain in the azz. Another fast food place. Irrigation POC inside the utility room, behind the humongous 160 gallon water heater. Another Suffolk special - no irrigation backflow that I could find (altho the building main had one on the 1.5 inch main).

No means of direct blowout port. Searched around outside the building, nothing there or in the valve box....that took extra time to find in the dark.

The way things were plumbed, I had to shut off the cold supply valve to the water heater, and close an ancient gate valve. Then "back feed" the air from an outside hose bibb through the inside plumbing and then out the irrigation pipe that disappeared into the building slab behind that water heater. At least there was a ball valve on the irrigation line and one on the hose bibb.
  2. Buck_wheat

Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member

It's all so beautiful, I think I'm going to cry... then rinse my eyes out with a mixture of tri-sodium-phophate and chlorine.
  3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

dude, that pic with the serious manifold in the coffin hole is the most amazing hack job i have ever seen. i hate manifolds if they are more than two valves. they are rediculous to work on if there is a break in the general area of that thing. most times, if i have to do some cutting to do repairs i split up the vavles and put them in separate valve boxes for the future and get rid of the manifolding.
  4. You just became one of my favorite posters.:clapping:
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

do not fear the manifold.......

6. WalkGood

If you have to cut a manifold to make repairs, you are working on an idiot's creation. Glued manifolds are made by sissy pikers with no future thought about repairs. Glue? What.... are you working in a nail salon? Threaded connections are how men make MANifolds. It's called a MANifold, not a girlyfold. :rolleyes:

And who pays for you deciding to do extra work by splitting up manifolds into separate valve boxes?
  7. Wet_Boots

Why didn't you backfeed the air through one of the sprinkler heads?
  8. WalkGood

And dig in the dirt? eeewwwww :laugh:

Besides it being dark outside, what I did wound up being easier than digging up a head.
  9. Wet_Boots

Someday, I want to connect the air to a water heater's drain valve..... :)
  10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a wonderful patio and Belgium block install that a homeowner did. This was several years ago and it still looks like that to this day. Funny but last year she just put her table on the grass next to it....wonder why?

oops..sorry guys..didn't notice this was the irrigation forum. my apologies but can't delete it so may as well leave it

DaviesBelgum 001.jpg

DaviesBelgum 002.jpg

DaviesBelgum 003.jpg