Hall of hacks & pikers Photo's please.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Buck_wheat, Oct 29, 2010.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

them bastardos
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I both agree and not agree. Dan is right, much as I hate to admit it, the irrigation guys should catch it, assuming they even have an "irrigation guy" and their contract allows for regular visits. If not, then someone does need to give someone the heads up. No saying someone didn't already give the appropriate person the heads up .... and they just aren't doing anything about it. That said, most mow and blow outfits that I have had the (dis)pleasure of working with generally wouldn't give a damn if it were leaking or not.

3. jrmikka

jrmikka LawnSite Member

Can i be anymore sacastic??? LOL

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

You don't post enough to be anymore sarcastic than that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

It's called The Genovese Effect . When everyone see's something wrong but does nothing about it.

Basically.. It's up to the irrigation guy for the repairs.. It's up to the property manager to get a hold of the irrigation guy on Emergencies ( No one can predict an emergency how can you be there to fix it lol) And it's up to everyday people like the mow and blow's to notify the property managers. Pretty simple really

So in this instance I think it's the blow job guys fault because he couldn't take a single second of extra energy in his life and participate in a good deed. ef that guy i'll punch his face

6. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

True story....adjacent apartment complex to our largest hoa...
    Drove by on saturday and noticed that a head was broken and valve likly stuck as water gushed down street and pooled...on return trip past 4 hours later same deal...got home called dad and discussed....he had already gone and discussed problem and offered to shut system off for free( HE LIVES NEAR THE COMPLEX)...
    They told him to beat it as they had their own irrigation guy...
    As it turned out, my brother later drove by without discussing with dad or me and asked them if they wanted him to shut off...same response...wtf?

It took their guy until Monday to shut it off.....

A year earlier,
    I stopped at a hotel at 7pm at night to tell them their system had a stuck valve...beat it , we got our own guy...

My own dentist, same issue, stuck valve at 2pm, highly visible and illegal...he told me his guy was working on it and didn't want me to shut off...so it ran

A neighbor to our shop had timers that were on during the middle of day...his receptionist wouldn't let me reprogram the timer or talk to their boss.

Ima lawn guy and an irrigator...guess trying to be frieindly don't work...next time, I'll tell em it'll be 150 bucks emergency visits:realmad::wall

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I forgot to mention, in my walk-thru I found the valve boxes: they said "Orbit" on the lids. :dizzy:

8. the irrigator

the irrigator LawnSite Member

Came across this one in the Fall. I especially like the "transparent, recycleable valve box" on the left. Not to mention the obvious.

12-11-12.jpg

9. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

I have this happen to us all the time. We had a main line let loose on a job a couple of weeks back. The thing ran all day and at 5:00 on a friday night I get a call from the PM saying that there is a big problem and the tenant noticed it that morning but didn't call until 10 minutes ago. A lot of people are just unaware and or stupid.

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

My wife hates these deals; she knows how pissed I get. I had found the PVB, and for a minute, thought about shutting it down, only to remember what I had drilled into my crews: "You touch it, you own it."