Hall of hacks & pikers Photo's please.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Buck_wheat, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Found the box then the valve

20120502_150950 (800x600).jpg

20120502_150650 (800x600).jpg

2. bx24

bx24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA/TX

Again, the "nothing is as good as YOU can do" is getting old!...Give me a break.:dizzy::dizzy:

3. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

It really doesn't need as much water as it's usually given but like everything, it's typically overwatered. Just don't let the top 1/2 of soil that came with the sod dry to the point of cracking. I once had some sod left over from a job that I didn't need anywhere and didn't want to throw out so I spread a tarp on the back patio and laid it out (about 50 sq/ft). I hit it with the hand sprayer on the hose every afternoon for about 5 minutes and kept that grass green and healthy for 2 months in the heat of summer until I had someplace to use it. That was St Augustine, I'd bet Tx was dealing with Bermuda in his part of the state, which would need about 1/2 the water I gave my grass.

4. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I ran into this about a month ago, valve was direct buried (no box) right under the PVB. I had a hell of a time finding this with the 521, not because it wasn't leading me here but because I didn't believe it, especially when I didn't find a box in the firs 4 inches...

IMG_20130409_120501_707.jpg

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I have a term for valves installed super close (Boots) or on top of one another (stacked) but i can't post it here.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I have a term for valves installed super close (Boots) or on top of one another (stacked) but i can't post it here.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I always hated people that stacked valves... all to save the price of a valve box. But, the race to the lowest possible price takes its toll.... the last time I encountered that, I warned the homeowner that the first time I'd have to service a valve in the bottom row, the price would start @ $1000. About two years later.. I had to service a bottom valve. I think with inflation and taxes it was $1200 to rip it apart and do it right...

8. Autoflow

Autoflow LawnSite Member

I had to fix this mainline break. Water was coming from underneath the tee and I could feel that the tee was deformed. This is what I found when I cut it. A bit hard to see the inside shot but there was a massive blob of solvent cement inside the fitting. It took 15 years to give way but it wouldn't have given way if the installer used less glue. Just an unnecessary repair.

Too much glue (Small).JPG

too much glue inside (Small).JPG

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Worked a little today, on Sunday. Repaired a friend's mom's system. Doesn't meet code, and total hack job. Gave her a price to replace AVB with PVB and put valves in the ground. Looks like we will do it later in the year when she is remodeling the house. This sits directly at the front of the house, by the front door. Nice and attractive. We see this kind of set up or similar, more often than you may realize. The back has the same kind of set up, which she will also address later.

linda.jpg

10. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

What are those valves?