Hall of hacks & pikers Photo's please.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Buck_wheat, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

In defense of the installer the tree may have been planted after install. People plant stuff without regard to the sprinkler system, see it all the time.

3. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not positive but I'm guessing the tree was there before the sprinkler system.

Sprinkler pipe 4.jpg

4. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

New site, we start the maintenance on Monday. Project was just installed about 90 days ago. I knew when I walked up to the controller that I would find issues when I saw this...

[​IMG]

And then when I walked around the corner and saw this my suspicions were confirmed...

[​IMG]

This is another favorite from the same site.....

[​IMG]

5. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

A wired rain sensor and single row of drip?

6. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

No. A wired rain sensor that has it's wire just loose on a wall which just disappears into the ground with no conduit to protect it..... And a plant that was left with more than half of it's rootball sticking out of the ground and a single row of drip on the downhill side of the plant. Hack work at it's finest!

7. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Should have used wireless and drip usually needs maintained monthly if not more.

8. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

question entirely off tpoic as usual, but this brings me to ask, Rainbird, why dont you make the SMT with a wireless sensor!?

Otherwise it remains a cadillac with hand crank-windows.

durn it.

9. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

When we were doing some of the field testing before that controller was released I asked that question. They considered it but I think that it was brought up as an option and desired feature by the other field test participants very late in the development of the controller. I wouldn't doubt if somewhere in an engineering office there is a prototype SMT with a wireless sensor but it's just a question of when it will ever come to market. Given the shoddy performance of other wireless sensors on the market I'm fine with the wired version.

What I really really want is the functionality of an SMT in a large form factor (like the ESP-LXMEF) with the ability to monitor flow, run stations concurrently and be pedestal mounted. That would be a hard product to beat.

10. Raven2510

Raven2510 LawnSite Member

Hunter already has that, the ACC controller does this. We just installed two 2-wire ACC controllers. One is for a schools fields & their future expansion. The other was for an HOA that we condensed from 126 valves down to 67, with IMMS control & weather station.