Hall of hacks & pikers Photo's please.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Buck_wheat, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

Or us here in FL - we don't use no stinkin' poly.

2. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

I hear banjos.

3. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Hadda cut out this to tie-in new mainline extension at R.P.
    What a muckin' fess!

IMG_2858.jpg

IMG_2859.jpg

IMG_2860.jpg

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Slip-fix on a mainline? :hammerhead: What's the finger pointing to, a air gap?

5. Buck_wheat

Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member

Ad-hoc water hammer arrestor?

I'm not sure if he used enough cleaner and glue.

Why not a slip fix on a mainline, as long as it's not potable water?

6. Buck_wheat

Plenty of p(ia)oly in the ground if the houses have been built prior to 1975 :dizzy:.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Prior to 1975? What happened? Did disco music destroy the poly pipe? :headphones:

8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, how else you gonna repair a main line? slip fixes have been working for me for over 10 years and never had one fail.. however, i do "try" to not use them if i can avoid it where i can actually pull up the pipe and use a regular coupler, but that is usually not very practical

9. Buck_wheat

Wet :)

Does the little green ball next to my alias mean I'm on line?

I believe a couple of things happened:

One was that Disco not only destroyed poly, but also fashion and style. Although it did rush in an era of morally casual attitudes among women who did not live in communes, and were not covered in dirt and body hair :clapping: .

Two was they discovered that in our lime rich ground the poly (over time) became brittle and nearly impossible to repair or work with. As long as it remained static in the ground, it was fine. In fact they are still pulling poly for larger applications like golf courses for example.

In residential there are too many variables that affect the poly. For example they don't bury it very deep, meaning a guy with an edger blade set to max can cut it, or the home owner installs new landscaping and either he or the d_ickwads that do the installations cut the lines. If it's been in the ground for a while, it'll just crumble as you try to insert the repair couplings.

And so they went to PVC instead. Initially CL 160 then 200. I come across old CL pipe that has also become brittle from years in the high alkaloid content soil making it difficult to cut without shattering the pipe. While some cheapo irrigators will still use it, myself and many of my peers down here use SCD40. It holds up to heavy traffic (lawn mowers) can take a blow from a shovel without shattering, etc.

I get a sense of deja-vu (wasn't it an old disco song?) I believe we've had this discussion before :drinkup:

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I don't recall the year 1975 in the poly discussion (the year the music died)