Hall of hacks & pikers Photo's please.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Buck_wheat, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Buck_wheat

Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member

Casa Del Melon Patch - in Paradise

The impatients are coming into full bloom now, soon to be mounatins of color on along my hedges and palms. I'm too lazy to take another pic. The water is just a little overspray from my sprinklers :laugh: It's not too much is it :D

Chance of an early morning shower
    Clearing and sunny all day; low humidity
    Temps 76 F with high expected of 82 F

Fire Ant report for Boots; one word "Biferen".

CassaMelonPatch.jpg

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

is it a written law that every third tree has to be a palm in the great state of "melon"? :confused:

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yes, the golf courses are amazing in arizona. we stayed on a gated community with golf course and i went out on it looking at the turf and it was by far the nicest i have seen

4. Buck_wheat

Hmmm.. I missed a couple? Oh, the big one is a Spanish Red Pepper tree, it's invasive and dirty, I'd like to kill it and plant a... palm? the little one is a mid-night jasmine. it blooms at night and creates that wonderful sweet aromatic smell that the south is noted for... and i ain't talking about mary Jane :)

Technically Palms are not trees. The soil here is friendly for Palms and they hold up better in hurricanes than trees. All but one palm specie found in Florida is imported; the only indigenous palm here is the Palmetto or "Scrub" palm, these are found as far north as Georgia.

Other native "trees" would be "live oak" found further inland (they are a protected species by the way); Slash Pines and Scrub Pines dominate the sandy soils on the coast.

Once you move out of zone 10 & 9 and move further North and West you'll find the more traditional deciduous trees and familiar conifers.

The patch has a little of everything, except skiing.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Technically, per definition, it is perfectly acceptable to call it a tree.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

so we call a coconut palm "not-a-tree, with balls"

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Does that mean we are supposed to call boots an irrigator? Or do we stick with irritator?

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Technically, I think irritator is more appropriate .... but then some might say the same about me. :laugh:

9. Buck_wheat

Of course you are correct, calling it a tree is acceptable, but not technically correct. In it's biological structure, it is not a "tree" but more along the lines of a flowering plant.

Hardwood tree biology differs greatly from that of palms, No bark, phellogen, no vasular cambium, no xylem, they do not grow in rings. Instead the entire trunk consistes of a fibrous material the exterior of which, when damaged, will not heal. The core is filled with strands of fiber containing water and nutrients that is carried to the top of the palm (the heart), from which new fronts and vertical "trunk" growth is generated. One can cut or "rack" most trees, but a palm cannot be racked, it's an entirely different process to trim back a palm as opposed to a "tree".

However, it is conventially and commonly called it a tree.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

you clowns are just jealous of the high quality of workmanship I am renowned for :)

[​IMG]