Hall of hacks & pikers Photo's please.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Buck_wheat, Oct 29, 2010.

  1. tadpole

    tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,216

    Sadly.....appropriately applicable question...lately.
     
  2. grassman177

    grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 9,795

    wow, this thread went so off base. but , well i dont konw where to comment on any of it anymore
     
  3. Kiril

    Kiril LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 18,298

    Maybe some Viagra will help? ;)
     
  4. hoskm01

    hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 5,690

    Funniest forum page in some time.
     
  5. Bush_Baron

    Bush_Baron LawnSite Member
    Posts: 29

    Just when I think I've seen it all...water dept installs meter box over existing rotor.

    palmerchurch2.jpg
     
  6. Mike Leary

    Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 21,603

    What a bunch of hacks, I would have used a hi-pop and cut a hole in the lid! :hammerhead:
     
  7. Kiril

    Kiril LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 18,298

    Pfft. Punch a riser through that sucker then glue the lid to it in order to keep it stable.
     
  8. tadpole

    tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,216

    Will it provide results comparable to Miracle-Gro, Super Thrive or Algo-Flash?
     
  9. Buck_wheat

    Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 586

    That is an amazing installation; is that anothe capped 1/2" riser in there?

    What where they thinking. I know a Realtor installed it... location, location, location.

    Thanks for getting the thread back on track :)
     
  10. tallrick

    tallrick LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 682

    It is funny to see this because most systems I see around here are terrible. The pipes are

    just below the surface with the heads sticking up high enough to be cut off by a mower. When

    I was 18 years old I hand dug and installed a sprinkler system using leftover galvanized

    pipe and heads from the trash and it still works perfectly to this day. At around 1993 I

    installed a system in my parents front yard with PVC and T-bird R50 rotors from a dumpster

    at an irrigation company. It was an excuse to try out the ditch witch V30 I had just rebuilt

    and teach the coral rock a lesson. I went overboard and buried the main lines 3 feet down

    with laterals 2 feet down. No funny pipe there, and some brass pop-ups as well as a few

    quick couplers for specialty watering. Electric valves are brass and rebuilt from the

    dumpster. Believe it or not none of the sprinklers have broken or needed service in 17

    years. The irrigation boxes sold commercially looked cheap so I used a concrete pull box

    with a cast iron cover salvaged from a traffic signal trash pile. I just added another zone

    with drip irrigation for their potted plants ( parents are getting too old to remember to

    water) so it was time to tap in. The controller is also homemade from a discarded fire alarm

    panel. I was able to find the main pipe with one simple dig because the plan I made was

    totally accurate. It was even easier as I had put a tee in place for this when I built it.

    Now for the other story.

    I did a favor to a family friend to help fix their broken sprinkler system. This was

    installed by an actual irrigation contractor with a good reputation. After seeing my drip

    irrigation job he wanted the same and offered to pay for my time and materials to make it

    happen. He even had the plans for the system when it was installed 10 years ago! Trouble is

    that none of the measurements fit the system and it turned into a treasure hunt in the yard.

    Turns out the plans were nothing like the system and I had to guess where the pipes went.

    Believe it or not some pipes were only 6 inches below grass surface. While cutting the pipe

    I found loose joints on the nearest tee. Must have been poor pvc cement or something. The

    funniest thing I found was one rotor with not enough flow had 10 feet of funny pipe! Since

    he is going to have a paver driveway installed I replaced the main line from the pump. You

    can see the old pipe to the left and the new one to the right. (Yes I am a cheapskate and

    instead of primer I use acetone to prepare the pipe so there is no blue stuff) The old pipe

    had a cracked fitting probably from being driven over and the lateral fitting was loose as

    well. The whole system works fine now

    SAM_0044.jpg
     

Share This Page