Hall of hacks & pikers Photo's please.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Buck_wheat, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Buck_wheat

Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member

I always knew a laundry hose and some hose clamps was the way to replace a valve without glue. :laugh:

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

no, but my life's not over yet!

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

last weeks suprise mike, shut the main off and checked for power at the panel. i then went back to the wire and in the spit second that i was cutting the wire my volt detector went off (it was in my pocket) i let go of the wire with my bare hand, still continuing to cut the wire BOOM!!!!

someone had hidden a subpanel that was independent of the main disconnect, the volt detector went off when i touched the wire bare handed because of induction, this is actually a 240vlt leg only using the single 120vlt and i cut the common and the hot leg at the same time otherwise my wire strippers would have not been a casualty

unhandy as hell, those were my favorites.

100_1300.jpg

4. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

All I can say is wow!! That's some scary stuff Jim! Glad you didn't get hurt!

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

That'll make your spider-sense tingle!

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

wow, not good but your ok so that is .

7. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I have BANNED these wire nuts. I will say i used them heavily for awhile. They started failing left and right. They do NOT have enough sealant.

If your valve box has water in it constantly these things will last maybe 1 yr. They rust up on the inside and the wires loose conductivity.

Ive switch back to EVERYTHING DB-RY (the new ones) 3M has Improved the splices with much better wire nuts that actually twist the wires together. And a different type of sealant. Silicon based i believe.

I got fed up with having to go back for bad wire splices in valve boxes. Mainly just wires that were corroding with bad, or not enough compound.

You'll notice that after one of these wire nuts has been on for a yr to so that as you twist it off, the compound is hard and flakes off. Of course these nuts are def. not made to take off and back on.

[​IMG]

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Im old school, wire nuts and greese packs for me.

9. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

its the way to go for irrigation.

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Dig a deeper valve pit and plain old wire nuts can work just fine (at least for a couple of decades or so)