1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hall of hacks & pikers Photo's please.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Buck_wheat, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Current nozzle with special order glass riser:

2. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

the pulsar worked as it should pinpointing these bad joints, one was a break where the wire separated from a typical idiot house wire nut with electrical tape connection.

One joint was under a bush might i add

the wires were about 4" under the dirt as well.

this was last weekend up at henrico, nc (above lake gaston)

ALSO, the fool that installed this system, ran all the same color wires to the two valves 300' away (not that it didnt take long to figure out which was the common)

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

you use the pulser enough to be really comfortable with it brandon, do you always pre-locate the wire path?

i ask this as i learned using the 573dl and don't always pre-locate the wire path.

fault finding is pretty easy and a lot of fun (as long as i'm not digging), nice job brandon :)
  4. NC_Irrigator

from NC

Im Will , I think you're confusing me with BrandonV that posts on here, as he's from NC as well.

& Yes, i always prelocate the wire path, with my 501 it makes for easy locating with the 2003 pulsar, heck, i can pretty much locate a break with the 501, but im only good enough to get it within 5 to 10 feet or so. (sometimes ive been off more than that, due to the signal jumping through the bad joint)
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

don't call him Shirley, either :p
  6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

sorry 'bout the first name, i do know you as an experienced locator though.

i use the tr 4110 (like you do the 501) and can get within a foot by shooting from both ends, it will overlap and you can split the difference. give it a try sometime then use the pulser and see where you come up at.

my dynatel has arrows and signal strength bar indicators, works as an aid similar to current recognition.
  7. NC_Irrigator

from NC

do you get accurate depth readings with that dynatel

i talked to some utility locators friday that said they like the old analog metrotech 810 better than their Radiodetection 4000
  8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i use depth readings to verify signal shape and target path accuracy more than excavation depth reference but have no problems digging with equipment on or near targets.

any of the excavation pics in my posts are of mechanical excavation with minimal hand digging, lazy i guess.

everyone is different but i like the metrotech 9800 gfl and the rd 4000 both,
    i have been looking at this lately

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  9. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Don't got a slip-fix, compression coupler, or even a piece of pipe?
    Use a green nipple instead!
    Make sure and use plenty of glue too!

10. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

Wow. That one might win.