Hall of hacks & pikers Photo's please.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Buck_wheat, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you can stuff a dozen valves in a rectangular box, you won't need mainlines :p

2. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I think I could redo this for free and still make $ on the scrap brass.:laugh:

photo(76).jpg

3. Wet_Boots

we love brass saddle tees

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto.......:clapping:

5. Wet_Boots

There was something enjoyable about brass saddle tee connections on poly, when you heat up the little burning tool to melt the outlet hole in the pipe.

6. Mike Leary

The whole fitting was brass, nuts and bolts included. Cool cork gasket. Never had one break, it was a eastern WA AG supplier that turned me on to them, my boys on the west side of Washington State had never heard of them. :dizzy:

7. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

They were very popular around here a while back but I have dug up some that failed because they had regular steel bolts.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Wet_Boots

No nuts. The brass contained the female threads. Stainless steel machine screws were all we ever saw. Some of the oldest ones with brass screws had the screws corrode and break.

9. Mike Leary

You're right, now that I flog my brain. :hammerhead: Brass screws were used.

10. Wet_Boots

The biggest knock on saddle tees wasn't the fitting itself. It was that the hole you melted could present a weak point in poly pipe that had been stretched when it was pulled, and later on become the point where the hole turns into a break.