Hall of hacks & pikers Photo's please.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Buck_wheat, Oct 29, 2010.

1. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

The contractor of this house wasted a ton of parts for no reason ( house is only 5 years old. We were installing a system . Were not supposed to connect into fire sprinkler lines and the house copper line didn't have a big enough area for a clean POC so I dug up to the poly and installed there.

The pic doesn't justify what's there So I'll explain it

It's set up like this all in copper

Water meter > Tee ( Inside water mox)

The 1st portion of the tee 90's up>Then over > Comes out of box> 90's again> Buried Ball valve> 90's down> 90's backwards> about 2' of copper> 45's> 6" of copper and 90's> Then connects up to 1 1/4 poly

The second port of the tee which is the fire sprinkler ( Usually this tee is inside the house not at the meter)> Bushing up to 1 1/4 copper> 90's up and 90's over (inside box)> 3' of piping> 90's up and 90's backwards>4' of pipe > 45 and connect up to 1 1/4 poly

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

2. Buck_wheat

Buck_wheat LawnSite Senior Member

I be a dumd Floridian jez futha sout :drinkup:

3. Buck_wheat

mitchgo
    LawnSite Bronze Member

"The contractor of this house wasted a ton of parts for no reason ( house is only 5 years old. We were installing a system . Were not supposed to connect into fire sprinkler lines and the house copper line didn't have a big enough area for a clean POC so I dug up to the poly and installed there.

The pic doesn't justify what's there So I'll explain it

It's set up like this all in copper

Water meter > Tee ( Inside water mox)

The 1st portion of the tee 90's up>Then over > Comes out of box> 90's again> Buried Ball valve> 90's down> 90's backwards> about 2' of copper> 45's> 6" of copper and 90's> Then connects up to 1 1/4 poly

The second port of the tee which is the fire sprinkler ( Usually this tee is inside the house not at the meter)> Bushing up to 1 1/4 copper> 90's up and 90's over (inside box)> 3' of piping> 90's up and 90's backwards>4' of pipe > 45 and connect up to 1 1/4 poly"

HUH? I must be a dumb Floridian cause none of that made sense to me :cry:

Fire sprinkler lines come in completly seperate from the service line at least on commercial it does. I've never seen copper in the ground either... must be the alkaline in the soil. Seen plenty of galvanized... go figure.

4. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Well see exactly my point, it doesn't make sense why they did what they did.. At all.

Fire lines come in 2 different forms here for residential- A seperate meter for the fire system ( uncommon)

And a single meter- usually it's a single pipe leading to the house, then it's tee'd at the house for the fire system

5. Buck_wheat

I bet they charged plenty too.

Don't see too much residential fire protection unless it's on the beach or a major estate. Even then each City has it's own code for the POC.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What I see none of underground, except in lawn sprinkler systems, is soldered copper tubing.

7. Buck_wheat

You are much older than I am... you've seen it all :)

Look; HODYI... No prime, told him bad check calve or broken pipe. He fixed it himself when he didn't like the quote; he installed a PVC china special and drove the line into the mud putting it back in the water. Worked fine until the lake level dropped 3 ft. Then his lawn died & his POS FloTec pump melted; then he called me back and said "You Fix"

One was glue, the other was a coupling.

Yuri01.jpg

Yuri02.jpg

Yuri03.jpg

Yuri04.jpg

8. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Long ago.....before 2-wire existed......I had this to deal with..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  9. Buck_wheat

How'd you separate that birds nest? Toner? I've seen bad here but oh man... that looks like a junk pile at a metal recycling facility.

10. TRILAWNCARE

TRILAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

Thought you guys might like this one. Seen it on the web when I was crawling around.

wire1.jpg

wire2.jpg