1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hall of hacks & pikers Photo's please.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Buck_wheat, Oct 29, 2010.

1. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

We dont pull poly around here, I would assume the internal fittings effect GPM?
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Not a whole lot. You still calculate hydraulic numbers based on the tubing alone.

Not good news about the Oetiker clamps. Anyone here ever use any other make of crimp clamps?
  3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Ya I got a butt load of murry another eBay find a few thousand for next to nothing
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

I use these wire nuts.

5. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

^ I kicked those to the curb over a year ago.

I used them for about 5 years, in valve boxes for multistrand splices.

Had a nice failure rate with those splices, seems the little bit of grease is not
    enough, especially for valve boxes that are in low areas and hold a bit of water.

The grease dries up and the splice will start to rust and corrode.

Back to the 3M DBRY No exceptions
  6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Same here, only I use generics instead of 3m.
  7. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not have any problems with DryConn wire nuts in the pic I posted for use in valve boxes. They are NOT for direct burial or continuously submerged connections. For my typical soil conditions, these nuts work fine. Direct burial waterPROOF connectors are a waste of money where not needed.

If you have valve boxes that are always full of water, then you have a leak. Or poorly chosen valve location - bad drainage, gutters dumping very near, etc. Get the water puddling issue fixed. Plan valve location better. Last resort if remediation cannot be done, then use the waterproof direct burial connectors.
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

My thoughts as well. I use those same black DryConns and they work well. If the box is under water, I will use DBs, but I have not had to in many years.
  9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I think wire nuts and generic greese packs may be cheaper , or the same price and better. I pay .40 cents for a greese pack and put 2-3 WN in them.
  10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I never had a issue with dryconns