1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hallo from France

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Blades & Spades, May 21, 2004.

1. Blades & Spades

Blades & Spades LawnSite Member

Hallo to everyone on Lawnsite.
    I've been lurking for over a year now, reading and searching almost every day during my lunch break. The information and insight I've gained from Lawnsite is invaluable and I wish to thank each and every one of you.
    Now it's time to reveal myself by way of an introduction to the many characters I've learned to admire and respect.
    I'm an Englishman (nobody's perfect) living and working in the greenbelt area of Paris in France. My mowing experience, my equipment, and my customer base is nothing compared to yours, but step by step I'm getting there. Part-time at the moment, full-time when I'm ready.
    I'll try not to post stupid questions, (I know how to search) and I'll try hard to contribute in repayment for what I've already learnt from Lawnsite. I'm sure you'll tell me if I get it wrong.
    Thankyou for extending the privelege that allows me to become a member of the best lawncare business site on the web.
  2. roadhawg3

roadhawg3 LawnSite Member

just curious, what kind of mower and equipment do you use? what are the service shops like over there?
  3. PowerPro

PowerPro LawnSite Member

Hey Blades, English here too, in Texas though, my mum just bought an old farm house in France, they are renovating in so they can sell up in Blighty and retire there

4. Blades & Spades

Hi Roadhawg,
    All small residentials at the moment, on local housing estates. Little old ladies and owner absents.
    Been using domestic W/B with B&S engine, Stihl trimmer, McCull Blower. All domestic but enough to test the market, and haven't let me down so far (2nd season). I do keep the blades sharp and do regular maintenance though.
    Found one place that sells the Toro Recycler, not common over here, but it's with the professional B&S OHV engine. Not the best option compared to what's available in the states, but that will be my next mower when the present one blows up...which it will.
  5. Blades & Spades

Service shops, the few I've had contact with, seem pretty slow.
    They sell equipment but don't stock much in the way of spare parts. Usually send away for them, and they arrive within a couple of days. Luckily I've not needed anything critical so far, but I will need to get professional equipment this year, then I can use the domestic kit as back-up. Honda service shop seems the best, but I find the mowers too heavy for some slopes.
  6. Blades & Spades

Hi Gav,
    My brother-in-law's doing the same. Had enough of Blair and looking to buy something in Brittany. Needless to say he intends to start lawncare services. That's why I've been doing this the last year, so we can maybe develop something together.
    There's a lot of Brits over here now, some permanent, but many with holiday homes that need maintaining in their absence. French labour's generally unreliable, so there's a lot of potential.
    Something to think about if ever you return to Mum's.