halloween displays for customers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Aug 19, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

any one do displays for customers, like bails of hay with pumpkins and gords, corn stalks wrapped on house columns, etc. how do you charge for something like that?

any diferent ideas? i'm asking early so i can prepare for the upcoming season.

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Never done Halloween work but I do Christmas lights so I don’t think that would be a far reach. Make up a flyer and give it out to all of your current customers and see what they have to say. Any additional income you can come up with is a great idea.

Gravely_Man

3. simsy71

simsy71 LawnSite Member

I did them last year for the first time I got about 8 customers. I set them up mostly around lamp posts with some hay bails corn stalks and pumkins. I also put a few mums around the hay. My flat fee was 80 to set up the display plus cost of materials.

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I understand that Clark W. Griswold is an excellent Christmas light guy so he may have some tips on Halloween also.:D

5. fga

that sounds resonable, and exactly what i was picturing doing. i didn't think of the mums though, that will bring out some more color. did you tie the stalks to the lamp posts?

how soon do you put it out so customers have reasonable amount of time to enjoy the extra work we're doing? 2nd week of october? 1st?

and btw, $640 extra dollars sounds pretty good for some little extra side work. especially something like this, we're it can be fun to do.

6. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Get hooked up with a local farmstand...Mums at a good rate, buy pumpkins and gourds and Indian Corn from them, and swap advertising too

7. fga

farmstand?:) closest thing to a farm here is the cuban guy down the block with his "special" farm in the basement....
    the local nurseries take off about 2% off retail. despite all the money i bring them .:angry:

8. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

that's too bad I'm sure people love the city life, but I can't stand it. Visiting a couple days is fine, but after that I'm ready to go home. One of my high school friends' has a farm and they sell all that stuff. I buy everything for the fall from them, it's a great deal and we talk each other up

9. fga

jersey is a 5 minute ride, and they are packed with farms, so if i had an exact amount of what i needed, i shoot over the bridge. but at $12 a cross, i wouldn't want to make too many trips, especially for 1 or 2 houses.

10. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

$12 to cross a bridge?!?

You can drive the whole Ohio turnpike for less than that!