1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

halogen lights for Hustler ztr ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captken, Feb 16, 2003.

1. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone know of a recommended setup for front lights? the ones on the Walker front mount mower look interesting. I want to install some on my Hustler Z. Got photos?
  2. captken

I'm not talking about using the Walker setup, more like a do it your self installation?
  3. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

BushHogBoy mounted a homemade set up on his SCAG if i remember correctly. Ask him...he'll be sure to post more than enough pics for you to see it.
  4. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

I mounted a pair of lights on my z. Took about 5 minutes, drill 2 holes to mount the lights and another one for the switch, run your wire and tie off on the battery, simple. I've been using mine for 2 years, without a problem, do alot of night mowing.
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I need a new mower this year. But I need headlights. Why should I pay 12K-14K for a mower ands then have to rig up lights. If you do decide to install them yourself, don't do a "5 minute" job. Make sure that you install a relay and have it fused properly.
  6. Piedmont Lawn

Piedmont Lawn LawnSite Member

7. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Does the battery put out enough and can the 13A alternator keep up?
  8. Piedmont Lawn

Piedmont Lawn LawnSite Member

Scott's T,

So far the battery has held up well, not really had a chance to run them much over 5 to 10 mins at a time since I put them on in October.

I don't think factory battery would hold them for an extended period but for finishing up several passes, loading the trailer or just plain running around in the dark :D they work fine.....

9. captken

that seems like a good solution...I wish I could see the brackets in the picture. Good picture by the way!
    On the question concerning battery drain and alt. output, I wonder how our setups differ from 4 wheelers or motorcycles? Both of which can be found with halogen lights.
  10. Ricks Z28

Ricks Z28 LawnSite Member
    from Pa

The MAIN issue with lights is the fact that they take a certain amount of AMPS to operate. The problem comes into play when you are using your electric clutch for mowing or other things ( if you are using your clutch). What happens is your clutch requires a certain amount of Amps to work properly. When it doesn't get the amperage it needs , it slips and wears out. It's a gradual process and the damage is done over time.