1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hammer time

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by londonrain, May 13, 2008.

1. Received a call on a property under a monthly service contract..
    Stopped by yesterday and located the leak...
    That's right its hammer time...
    I first cut the cement with my cutoff saw and pulled out the jack hammer...
    after busting out the cement I uncovered a washout hole
    another angle of the washout...
    1 1/2" main uncovered...right down the center of the sidewalk and under a driveway...
    all fixed up
    nice clean site....
    the 1 /2" main line pipe I cut out that had been damaged 4 1/2 years ago during construction and finally gave out.....
  2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

folks dont beleive in sleeves down that way?
  3. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

London showing the goods as per the usual..

Awsome pics and great clean up!
    4 90's?
  4. The problem is that the main line runs right down the dead middle of a sidewalk.....
  5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

So do you sub out the concrete repair, do it yourself or tell the customer " time to make a few calls"?
  6. This is the property that I talk about that has the community wide irrigation systems of 120+ zones...I told the HOA/property management company upfront, "I can do everything but the concrete work"...
  7. Interesting. Means system was put in before concrete work so I'm guessing the heads are not set very consistent in relation to the concrete either. By the way LR my e-mail to my WM rep has gone unanswered so I'll call him today. I had a customer describing something similar to your problem and I could find nothing in the programming to cause it so I replaced the panel. It was an original SL 1600. WM has a no questions asked warranty policy so if a customer suggests a problem to me I use it as an excuse to replace the panel with the latest firmware version.

OOOOPS Another thread hijacked by WM SL issues.
  8. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, great pics!!

Don't you believe in slip fixes?
  9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Most the guys here don't like them, especially for mainlines. I don't have a problem with them, but for directly under a sidewalk like that.... I don't know, I may bail on a slip fix as well.
  10. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

We don't have the greatest pressure around here. Would want to avoid 4 90's in a row like that. Certainly not the environment for a compression coupler either.

I understand the concern. Careful back filling and protect it with a partial sleeve it should ok (after thorough pressure test).