1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

hammers for base

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by orionkf, Mar 4, 2006.

1. orionkf

orionkf LawnSite Member

I was just wondering what everyone uses for setting their retaining wall base. I've seen people use rubber mallets, 28 oz. boxstore deadblows (seamless handle to head connection), fiberglass handled 3 pounders with beads inside, some use 4+ pound hammers with the screw-in faces. On an outdoor home improvement show, they even used a sledge hammer (3 or 4 pounder I think). So what do the pros use? Pros/cons of each? Just a personal preference?

Please include as much detail as you can concerning type, size, weight. Pictures and links would be good too. I'm considering the screw-in type, but not sure what hardness of tip to get, or how heavy is too heavy, or if it is worth the $50+.

All opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
    Orion

2. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

We use the blue one on this page:

http://www.hammersource.com/Dead_Blow_Hamm.html

I really like them. I think it is a 4 or 5 lb hammer, filled with steel beads. Only down fall is that the heads that screw on tend to strip out and fall off. Not a big deal, can just replace them. Work alot better than a rubber mallet were you really can't get anything behind it, just bounces right back off the block. With the dead blow you can get a good hit with it. :hammerhead:

Hope this helps alittle....

3. orionkf

orionkf LawnSite Member

Very cool, that is exactly the type I was considering. What color tips do you use?

4. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We use the ones from Pave-Tech that look like that. We used to use a 3lb sledge with wooden blocks........:dizzy: Now we use the dead blows.

Chris

5. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

We have the white tips/ ends. Seem to last farely long.

6. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

If I get blocks like I got the other day again I'll be using a 22lb sledge:mad: :realmad:

7. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

8. orionkf

orionkf LawnSite Member

Is this for an SRW?