Hand controls

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheGrassGators, Oct 23, 2008.

1. TheGrassGators

TheGrassGators LawnSite Member

This is going to sound like a weird question and I can already see minds going in the gutter but I need to ask.

I just bought a used 48" Scag walk behind and want to know if there is a way to make it easier to use the twin hand controls? I am a woman with small hands. My hand just isn't big enough to comfortably squeeze the controls. I can get the job done, it just isn't pretty.

Any suggestions?
  2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

when I purchased a BOP product, it had rather small hand grips on it.

it was next to nothing to b honest I quickly went down to my local wal mart and purchased Bycycle hand grips that looked confortable, however this made the reach longer and it was hard to use. Really caused pain after a while. ya may want to try hand grips that are very small.

Best of luck to u
  3. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

Adding grips isn't much of an option. The issue is, the handle tube is large in diameter and the OPC lever is huge. The combination of the 2 make for a HUGE grip.

I wish I had an easy solution for you. Unfortunately, I don't. I feel like that's a real shortcoming of that design for operators with smaller hands.

Scag Grip.JPG

Scag Grip.JPG
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I know this doesn't really help but this is one of the main reasons why I will never own a Wb that isn't a Toro,
    I categorically REFUSE to operate pistol grips, that stuff gives me allergic reactions.
  5. SB Gary

SB Gary LawnSite Member

Take a look at the Wright Quad lever system. They were designed to relieve the wrist damage from the pistol style mowers. Did you do a proper demo before you bought? Had you spent a day with the unit you would have seen the problem. Always ask for a demo and spend time with the machine.
  6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

"She" said it was used. Are you going to let someone "use" the mower your trying to sell for a full day of use before you let them hand over the money? I sure as heII wouldn't. If you want it, give me the money and it's yours.
  7. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

On my Exmark Turf Tracer WB, I added a "spacer" to the spring so there would be less resistance, also you can remove the OPC and put on a jet-ski type OPC that connects to you.

If you do these 2 things, you will see, I think, at least a 50% reduction in effort. Do a search for threads on these two suggestions.
  8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

That's what this forum is all about. I had never thought of these ideas and they sound like a perfect fix for her problem.
  9. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Check out the Gravely with Pro-Steer
  10. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

May seem like a silly answer but your hands do get stronger and you will get blisters in all the right places. You may get used to it with practice. Before you add anything have a dealer look it over and see if they can adjust anything on it. I have two 52 scag walk behinds and they are night and day. One is broken in almost to the point of broken down but is really soft to operate. The other is newer, still about 4 years old but newer, and that one hurts your forearms after the first spring day of mowing every year. If you notice that the speed control lever will move the pistol grips up and down closer to the handles the slower the speed. You may want to try running it slow at first (for many reasons) and see if that helps bring the paddles closer to the handles making it easier to reach. Worst cast is you can modify the safety paddles to make them thinner. I would never take them off!! Just modify. Good luck! It gets easier