Hand crank spreaders

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by qghs, May 9, 2005.

1. qghs

qghs LawnSite Member

What is a good hand crank spreader for small areas? Those 4 foot by 30 foot strips of grass etc. Do you like the bag hand crank or those little hand crank spreaders that hold about a 1lb. of fertilizer?

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the Scotts Handy Green II spreader. Holds about 5 lbs of fert I think. I carry one with me on the Magnum, and hop off and hit areas that spreader can't get to.

3. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I like the Earthway hand crank that holds 35lbs. of fert.

There is a bag type is but can not remember the name and it works good.

I use them to fert. my beds as it distributes evenly and gets the entire area without wasting fert.

4. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

I have both the Earthway chest spreader and the Scotts hand spreader. For a 4' strip you want the Scotts, the Earthway will throw the fert way beyond your intended target. The Scotts will hold up to 6.5 lbs. I've weighed it on a scale I carry for pest apps.

5. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I carry a Scotts handy job with a sticker of Old Glory across thier logo. For the large chest spreaders, I roll with the Maryuama...

Thanks

6. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, i've used several myself, the best for me is the "Solo" ,it holds about30lbs, has ajustable spread pattern & has a good closein cap [ so you dont have to breath in the stuff you are applyin].....a little costly as compared to the others at $89 at lesco. :waving:

7. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

If you want to reduce your spread width, just don't crank it so fast.

The Earthway has a cover and costs about $90 check out Northern Tool.

8. turfmann

turfmann LawnSite Platinum Member
    from PRM

I use a solo monkey-grinder with the hard plastic case. It's indispensable on steep slopes.

9. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

I have 2 of those solos but don't use them anymore. The problem I have with them is that they are geared to high so they don't work well in tight areas and the capacity on the earthways is over 50% more thus making them obsolete for me in small and large areas. I have done up to 3 acres with the earthway chest spreader and had previously done the same property with a spiker stainless wheeled spreader, earthway was faster with less fatigue than pushing the broadcast spreader.