Hand Cutters?????????????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jaredslawncare, Jul 28, 2003.

1. jaredslawncare

jaredslawncare LawnSite Member

i was just wondering do any of you use hand cutters to trim shrubs, i was driving by a bank and saw another LCO trimming shrubs with hand cutters, not those little ones with the 1/2 in blades but the one with like a foot long balde on them, I couldnt understand why the gas cutters wouldnt be more efficent I know they must do this permanently because I saw them doing it a a resedential afew weeks ago, is there any benefeit to them doing this???

2. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I'm relatively new to the business, but I use hand-shears on a lot of trimming jobs. Once I get an Echo Pole-Trimmer I may change my mind, but I can fly with them and they make it a lot easier to get a precise cut... for me.

I am pretty sure that gas trimmers or not, I will still use the hand shears from time to time.

3. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

hand shears are my most fuel efficient tools :D

4. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Had a pair. Just couldn't figure out how to get them started:confused:

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I use gas powered hedge trimmers on many of my shrubs, however i use my felco hand pruners to shape up boxwoods.

6. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

It always amazes me at how many people in this business think it is ok to use gas powered prunners on ALL shrubs.

This is not directed at anyone who has responded to this or any other post.

Certain shrubs can be power prunned and that is the best way, other shrubs need to be hand prunned. One type of shrub in one setting may get power prunned but the same shrub in another setting may get hand prunned. How do you power cut a deceduious shrub and cut it 1/8 to 1/4 from the new terminal bud without cutting all the leaves in half. can not be done. this is where you need to hand prune. Power prunners can cause a greater disease and insect invasion.

I am not against power prunners as I have multiple sets but also have a bucket full of the felco hand prunners as well.

All I am saying is that in certian situations calls for different prunning skills. We also use the long bladed hand shears as the man from the original post was using. Sometimes these are good to use by windows of office building where the noise needs to be limited.

Good day to all and hope everyone is having a great season.

7. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Felco for hand pruning

8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Kicken

Great response.........

Though, I got to tell ya. We do most all with the power clippers. On occasion the hand clippers. There are circumstances where selective pruning is needed.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have a set of the longer ones (the two handed 12" blade shears) like those described above that I carry in my trailer (milkcrate full of miscellanious supplies) for such occasions such as "a touch-up" if I ever need them. Problem is, - I never use them. I always just grab a saw if I see something that needs touchup, because I figure that when I get over there, there will probably be more. As far as the other kind of hand pruner for selective pruning, I use Fiskars for both hand AND extended by-pass pruning.;)

10. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I saw something very strange a couple of weeks ago. A sheared japanese maple :eek: