Hand dig and transplant Juniper?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Envy Lawn Service, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

What is the cut-off size before a Juniper is just too large to dig and transplant by hand?
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I hate junipers. I've found Juniper roots 15 feet away from the plant.

Tear it out and burn it :)
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

When it is too big for you to move it
  4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Yep. Whatever size you are comfortable with. I've done them up to 12' - 14' before, but as I get older, I no longer wish to tackle them above 8'.
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

3 gal. pot. :D
  6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

just get a nice root shoot balance. trim the shoots of the plants and get it pretty much evened out with the roots. and sine they are already strong roots near the shoot, they'll fire right back up. its actually benificial to the plant.
  7. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Up here don't even bother. Most junipers have SOME winterkill every winter and look like $*#@ the remainder of the year because of it. It's idiopathic (unknown cause) and idiosyncratic (no telling which portion of it will die) and a colossal PITA. I recommend that clients not use 'em and go with microbiota decussata (Siberian falsecypress) instead. It looks like any number of the spreading junipers, is NOT prickly, and is Zone 2 hardy.
  8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

yup, change out the plants to something that will handle your zone better and doesnt look like crap
  9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

He's in N. Carolina. Junipers will do just fine down there.
  10. vanderbilt

vanderbilt LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

Junipers do too well down here! Landscapers install them because thier low maintenance, cheap, and the only thing they know that will grow on a bank. I've had to take out too many after 5 to 8 years of growth, they look awful. Even the low growing ones such as blue rug. Thier root system is extensive and can work you to death. Rip those suckers out with a backhoe or skid loader if you can. If not then chain saw the top growth and then dig out the roots with a maddock. (If you can't rip them out with your truck and a chain.) And yeah, burn those suckers! Then do a little research and find out what else will grow on a bank. :rolleyes: