1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hand Filing Blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BSDeality, Sep 16, 2003.

1. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I used to sharpen my blades with a 6" bench grinder, i always had a sharp edge, but it was inconsistent (to say the least). Today, i had some time to kill, so when i swapped in my mulching blades i threw them in the vice and hand filed them. the only thing i can say is:

WOW, what a difference. i was able to get a razor sharp edge on all the blades in about 10-15 minutes (had to get some dings and nicks out of the edge). The major difference is the consistency of the edge, very smooth. I will definitely be hand filing my blades from now on, plus it i'll get considerably more life out of the blades by hand filing and leaving more steel on the blade instead of burning through it with the grinder.

So, have any of you ever tried it?
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, about 23 years ago! Your blades aren't that DULL if you are able to sharpen them with a hand file and then when your done, boast about it here. :eek: It was always a LONG, TIRESOME, DANGEROUS, LABORING, and OLD FASHOINED thing to do. Maybe files have changed, and maybe your blades weren't that bad, but I'll stick to the Fireball!

Just my opinion

Hey, you asked! :D
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

were you using a metal file the last time you tried it? i sharpen my ski's and twin tip edges by hand in the winter, so i'm getting good with a file. Thats where i got the idea to try hand filing them. i find i get a much more controlled edge, with the grinder i was getting it sharp, but the edge was inconsistent. It's also really hard to get a blade too hot and kill the hardening properties with a hand file :)
  4. Lawnand LandscapePro

Lawnand LandscapePro Banned
    from NJ

Magnamatic blade sharpener.........
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, I like to do this on the same days that I go out and hand rake entire yards - just for something to do.:rolleyes: How about this as a suggestion: Sharpen them on the grinder, first (about a minute's worth), then touch them up with a file.;)
  6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I've been sharpening blades with a file for a long time. It takes longer to get the edge right, but it lasts longer.
  7. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I could fit a Magnamatic blade sharpener into my budget. I understand that it uses a softer stone which in turn sharpens the blade faster without heating it up. Thus keeping the edge from becomming brittle. What an awesome tool that must be! Maybe next year after I have the 60" Z and a new landscaping dump truck I can make enough....................hopefully.
  9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here was another sharpener.

10. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

You hand filers have got way too much spare time. Guess that's better than some other things you could be doing with those same hands.

Reality= Take a stack of blades, same type blade made out of same metal make up, sharpen one each by every possible method.
    After a days worth of mowing, do you really think there's enough blade sharpeness difference at that point to make a hill of beans worth of difference?