Hand going numb whil mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Quail Creek LC, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

Am I the only one who's hands go numb while operating walkbehinds. Some days seem worse than others. Is this a sign of carpal tunel or is by back out of wack or whats going on. I've been having this problem for the last 4 years. Just curious if anyone else has this problem.

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

What kind of mower?

I used Bob Cat's with the pistol grips, after waking every morn with numbs hands I got the Great Dane Scamper and have not had a problem since. If you are using pistol grips look at the Hustler, Toro, Exmark, or Great Danes with non grip systems.

3. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same problem, it is a sign of carpal tunel,. i have two fingers that have been asleep for about 6 months. I need to go to the doctor, but really don't want to. It was real bad when all that i used was a walk-behind but it is alot better now that i use a rider, but yes i feel your pain :cry:

4. Quail Creek LC

from IOWA

I have Scags. I do have to stop on occasion and wave my arms around to get blood flowing again and That will give me about 10 minutes. Im sure people are wondering what the heck is that guy doing.

5. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have Scag also and to i do the same thing, i look like I am trying to fly off.:D

6. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

You will have to be checked to be sure if it's Carpal tunel. But those are symptoms. While mowing you could wear wrist splints to relieve some of the pressure in your wrist. You could also buy a full hand and wrist splint (similiar to a bowling glove) and wear at night while your sleeping. Or just go have the surgery done but, the sugery results vary for each person.

I remember waking up during the night in extreme pain because my wrists hurt so bad. It does come and go but, never goes away. Try taking Advil before you start you day. Does take the edge off.

7. Quail Creek LC

from IOWA

I have been contemplating getting a exmark rider just to help my hands out, but I really like how I can get in tight places with my walkbehinds. I'm just more effecient with a walkbehind.

8. Quail Creek LC

from IOWA

Lately just resting my arms on my computer desk has been giving me trouble.

9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Get rid of the pistol grips! You can still have a walk behind and your hands, check out the others listed above. Was the best decission I made.

10. I took the "deadman" levers off of my walk behind. Now I don't have to grip the handles all the time. It's helped because I can move my hands more.

Dave