1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hand grinders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Jul 26, 2005.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I know alot of you swear by blade grinders to sharpen your blades. Could you give me a model of the grinders you use. Also what diameter wheel and the grit and where you buy them at. I assume you use a stone wheel of some kind but grinders come in many sizes and wheel diameters and grits. You input will be appreciated.
  2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Get the biggest 4.5" or 5" dewalt grinder you can buy. Not the ones you can buy at home depot or lowes. Places on line like toolup.com (dewalt's site has a bunch of where to buy links) I also am a welder. I know how fast you can burn up a cheap grinder. Also get a ton of flap disks. They work much better than hard disks when it comes to grinding blades. I have a blade grinder, but still use an angle grinder for wavy mulch blades.
  3. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

I use an oregon sharpening wheel. :)
  4. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Used hand grinder and blade grinder both so I can speak from experience.
    Get the Blade grinder that uses the 8 or 10 inch wheel. RBG is what we use but there are others. Didn't like the Neary at all!!
  5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

For shrapening blades, i just use a 4.5" Black and Decker angle grinder and a flap style disc. I paid $35 for the grinder(probably more now) and I get discs for $3 a peice, they last a long time.
  6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the comments, the more the better.
  7. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

I use a thing called a Handi Disc.
    It's a bit more of an art than a science to sharpening with one of these as you need to keep it at a constant angle and move it across the blade.
    It's getting the job done until I can afford a real grinder.
    On the good side, it doesn't seem to heat the blade up.
    I might try one of those flap wheels
  8. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

Today I was sharpening my blades and realized it takes me much longer to do it with this abrasive disc than it would with a real blade sharpener.

As soon as I can spare the money, I'm getting a real sharpener. :cool:
  9. dog245

dog245 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

My opinion the 80 grit flap disc is the only way to go. I've tried every way imaginable to sharpen my blades. The hand grinder, in the right hands, gives a faster and cleaner edge. It does take practice to become proficient but it's well worth it once you get it mastered. You can buy the disc for <$2 when you purchase them in bulk. I replace the disc after 10-15 blades.