hand held auger

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jaguar4000, Nov 12, 2004.

1. jaguar4000

jaguar4000 LawnSite Member

I just purchased an Echo EA400 auger w/ a 10" bit. Just field planted 800 trees and she worked like a jewel. Looked at Stihl and Hoffco but went with the Echo. Just thought I would share and was wondering what experience anybody else had and with what brands. Will be looking to purchase a dynadigger next. Thanks in advance.

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We use an Earthquake 5hp, two man auger w / 6,10, & 12" bits. It was a time saving , money producing purchase. We use it for all containerized stock up to 7gal, and many smaller B&Bs. Tears thru the WV clay / rock soils like butter. We don't dig many holes by hand , and fence posts are no problem either :p

3. activelandscaping

activelandscaping LawnSite Member

I use a 3 pt. auger with my Deere 750. Pain in the butt to change out from the backhoe though, so I only do it if I have a lot of holes to dig or the soil is really tough. Just curious: how many holes/hr can you dig with a scissor type PHD ( not PhD:p ), depth 42" & medium soil ( no heavy clay or hard substrate )

Regards,
    Active

4. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

we have the earthquake ,bought it at tractor supply about 4 years ago it still works fine.

5. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Use Earthquake also, been using it for 6 years with no problems.