Hand held blowers Echo vs Stihl

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by ecrew, Mar 24, 2010.

1. kmzlawncare

kmzlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

What to you mean don't worry about warranty's we are all out working to make money and if I buy something with a 5 year warranty I'm gonna use it if something breaks I don't like paying 50 to 75 dollar shop rates that why I Buy new equipment every 5 years not because its worn out its because you can still get good money out of it and I try to keep every thing under warranty's.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

What he is saying is buy a commercial blower and get 5 good years out of it with no problems, buy junk from Home Depot and you may have problems.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. green monster

green monster LawnSite Member

ECHO - it will outlast the Stihl.

4. cgaengineer

I'd like to see some proof on that...does Echo even make a commercial handheld blower?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. green monster

All ECHO products are commercial grade. Look for the emmission durabilty rating label on the machine. There are 3 categories: A (300 hours / commercial); B (125 hours / medium); and C (50 hours / homeowner). The EPA requires the manufacturers to disclose which compliance period their engines fall within. This means the engine will stay in compliance for a minimum of the number of hours it is rated for, which tells you about the quality of the engine. The proof is on thelabel of the machine. Look for it. It is usually in fine print.

6. cgaengineer

So just because the label states the muffler or emission devices will last 300 hours means the machine will last that long? And 300 hours isn't that long anyway, not for a commercial product anyway.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. morgaj1

morgaj1 LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought an Echo PB-251 handheld blower on Friday. I am pleasantly surprised by this little blower. It has a decent amount of power, is very quiet, runs very well, and so far starts on the first pull.

8. green monster

To CGAENGINEER ... you wanted proof, I gave you proof. And what I said is that the engine is rated for a minimum number of hours for emission compliance. I did not say that means the engine will last 300 hours. The engine will last much longer that 300 hours. But fine, don't believe me, go buy a Stihl BG55 with a Category C rating and enjoy it for the next year or two because if you are a commercial cutter, that is all you will get out of it.

9. cgaengineer

I have a BG85 actually...and a BR600.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. cgaengineer

Its the emission stuff that is rated to work for a certain amount of hours not the engine...the emission compliance has nothing to do with the reliability of the engine...period.

BTW, the BG85 and the BR600 are both CatA if that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy...if you want proof I will post pictures.

So people if you wanna buy a blower based on its emission compliance the Stihl BG85 and BR600 is rated A, and according to green monster this makes them reliable.

And please tell me what kind of emission related gizmos are on a BG585 anyway...I am willing to bet $100 you won't find anything, the same goes for the BR600.

Posted via Mobile Device