Hand held controllers

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by nsmilligan, Jan 18, 2001.

1. nsmilligan

nsmilligan LawnSite Member

Was on a manufacturer's site last nite and they were talking about their hand held controller being a big feature, My EZ-V's have the "Fish Stik" the only time it leaves it holder on the left of the steering wheel is when I take my plow off. I only like to plow with MY truck I know where every control is instinctivly. If my left hand isn't pushing a plow buttton it's holding the wheel while I shift with my right. Do any of you actually hold the controller in your hand while your plowing? I can't imagine not having the controller in exactly the same place every time I wanted to push a plow button!

Bill

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i plow with a regular straight blade fischer. it has the joystick controller, but i never really seem to take it out of the holder when plowing. its just as easy to push the buttons where it is. i know a V has more controls, so maybe it would be a benefit for that, but for my plow, theres no need.

3. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

I always hold the controller in my left hand, that way I always know where it is and my arm doesn't get tired since I can put it in a comfortable position. This way I steer and shift with my right hand and then I can hit the spreader controls with the right hand as well. Creature comfort is necessary when you are in truck for long hours, makes job much more enjoyable.

4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

We build our own controllers that allow drivers to plow, steer, shift and talk on the 2-way simultaneously.

My new system (under development) allows these 4 functions as well as being able to type in my notebook computer.

[Edited by Kent Lawns on 01-18-2001 at 08:50 PM]

5. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have 6 fisher v-plows with the fish stick. Some guys love them others hate them.

Geoff

6. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER LawnSite Member

I always have the controller in my hand, I honestly don't even notice it. I guess growing up playing video games finally came in handy ;).

[Edited by JD PLOWER on 01-18-2001 at 10:46 PM]

7. MusGuy

MusGuy LawnSite Member

I am lucky, I have my controls on my manual shifter.... thumb rests on the control and the rest of the hand on the stick......

Have left hand to steer and wirless communications in the truck

8. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Best thing you can do is get a hands free kit for the phone. Nothing like talking and plowing. Passerbyes all think that you are nuts-talking to yourself. Of course we are snow plow guys, and being nuts is part of the game.
    Dino

9. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

The remote starter is fun to freak people out in parking lots. Wait till they get close, and hit the button. Then shut it off. Then start it up.

~Chuck

10. Trimline

Trimline LawnSite Member

I Just bought a meyer touch pad a few months ago. I love the thing, granted it is the worst design of all the hand helds. It is bulkly and does not fit my hand that well but it is alot better than my old three stick version. I hold the controller in the same hand I shift with and this seems to speed everything up.