hand held edgers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rite-way, Mar 21, 2007.

1. rite-way

rite-way LawnSite Member

Hey guys what about hand held edgers,do they do the job which is best average size lawns

2. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

The best edger (powerful) I ever used was the Tanaka... it was a beast... expensive as hell... but worth it. Then I grew out of the push edgers, migrated to the sticks. Much easier/convenient for me and my needs. Currently I use a Stihl.... very happy with it.

3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Buy a dedicated edger they have more power and are built heavier than those handheld units. Handheld units are only good for maintaining edges that have already been cut and don't have the power to cut a new edge very deep and aren't built heavy enough to take the abuse. A good dedicated edger will have more power 2-3hp and will cut a deep clean edge around sidewalk and driveways so you can maintain them for the rest of the season with a trimmer which will make things much faster.

4. workinallthetime

workinallthetime LawnSite Member

i got the stihl multi tool km130 and then bought the edger and trimmer for attachments. i agree and disagree with you but im new so im also inexperienced. my drive way is concrete and about 1/8 mile long and had NEVER been edged until last week when i arived home with my new stuff. It took a few tries but i figured out how to use it efectively. problem was there was a 2-6" growth over the drive and sidewalks. so once i got ir cut i got out my tractor and used the FEL (front end loader) to move the cut portion away from the edge. i cant imagine having to do this for a customer id really have to charge alot cause it was a big mess. on the other hand i did my first lawn monday and used the edger on their drive and it worked great but someone had been maintaining a edge there. so do the walk behinds just cut or do they have something to also remove whats cut?

5. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

mine doesn't have anything to remove it cause its so powerful (3.5 hp) that it flings most of the crap away....the only reason i would buy a stick edger is for those lawn that are right next to the street....most w/b edgers right wheel will drop to put the edger even with the curb but what if your curb is really high like one of my lawns?....that's when the versatility of the stick comes in handy....