1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hand held hedgers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Icepuck72, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

This won't be something that I'd be using all the time, but a couple of my customers are asking for theirs to be cleaned up.

Just looking for some experiences and comments.

2. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Kawasaki KHD600A gas hedge trimmer.

Works great and have never had a problem with it.
  3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Echo HC150 is a good all around hedge trimmer.
  4. Icepuck72

Do you think I need a commercial one, or a residential/homeowner version?

Not looking to use this everyday, maybe once a month for a few customers. I don't really need overkill, just want something that is efficient and can do the job.
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I had a Tanaka hedge trimmer, well, still do, but it just wont run anymore after trying several times to revive it...

I ended up buying an Echo from Home Depot. Now, I don't know if the model at HD is the same as the model at an actual Echo dealer, but if it is, DON'T BUY IT! Sure, they cut great, but they have to RUN to cut! From day one they have been "cold blooded", and I mean taking 5 minutes or so of messing with the choke and throttle to get them running well enough to even cut with. Most of the time I can get them started and if I tilt it more horizontal it stalls out. I ended up actually gutting out the muffler (removed all the catilitic converter BS that was inside. It helped about 75%, but now they are loud as hell!
  6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

My Redmax hedge cutters are GREAT. Start easy, run great, no problems at all. I don't use mine much, but it's good to have nice ones for when you do need them. I probably use mine more cutting down pampas grass in the spring than I do actually trimming shrubs with them.
  7. Icepuck72

I was looking at the Stihl HS 81 series and I had no idea they would be this expensive!! I'd hate to buy something that cost so much when I'm not using it like a trimmer or blower every day. I have no problem paying a lot for something that I'd use everyday, but for something that I'm going to use maybe once or twice a month I just can't see paying that much for.
  8. paull

paull LawnSite Member

Which one do you have?

To Jason Rose: What's wrong to the Tanaka?