Hand held laser distance meter recommendation?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Neal Wolbert, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone recommend a hand held laser distance meter that will measure lawns up to several acres in size and tree height too? I've searched the web but I'd like a recommendation from a satisfied user.

Thanks for the help, Neal
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I have a "Point and Measure Digital Tape" by Performance Tool. For indoor carpentry--its fine. It will find the square feet or cubic feet of a room. It has a red laser beam that you point at the surface you want to measure from. However...the actual measuring is by sound waves. It emits a tiny clicking sound and meaures the time it takes to hear the echo. Distance limit is about 60 feet, I think. It does not do well if the laser beam hits a slanted surface.

On the other hand...I may attach it to my Permagreen...and as an experiment...use it to find the swath width and keep it constant. (Seven feet to next tire track). Or maybe it would work for my Scotts spreader.
  3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Just get a GPS for tracking the permagreen.:laugh:
  5. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

ben meadows and forestry supplier sell clinometers for measuring tree height
  6. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Go to Cabelas.com and look at the laser range finders. I have used a bushnell for years. It is like this

It works like a charm and makes measureing a yard a cinch. It cuts the time involved to about half. Yes they have some drawbacks....won't measure under 16 yards but........you can step them off for close enough. Hope that helps.
  7. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the tips. If I find one that will measure both short and long distances with accuracy (and I don't have to sell the farm to buy), I'll let you know.