Hand held radios

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Gene $immons, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone use hand held radio (walkie-talkie) to communicate with crews. I was looking at some Motorola brands, there were many to choose from. Anyone with a review will be appreciated. I would like to get one with a 20 to 30 mile coverage.

No, I don't want to use cell phones. Thanks.
  2. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

we used those type radios about 10 years ago (different industry) They work great but to get that kind of range you will have to pay a fee to bounce off a repeater I could be wrong like i said that was 10 years ago
  3. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

they used them at a place I worked at in Duncanville, Tx

they were pretty handy especially since the owner would buy in other service companies (like AC) old junk trucks paint them green then send them all over the freeways of Dallas to break down

the only real MINOR issues they ever had were people with the same first names....so some went by last name

or with some of the crews that were not very bueno with the English.....they could never figure out to wait on the repeater, they would get talking real fast and be hard to understand even for Spanish speakers, and a couple were just clueless on how to use it well....like identifying themselves first before just starting to tell the issue or ask a question

if you can get them used to waiting on the repeater and pausing they were great

oh yea one other slight issue.....when some smart ass gringo gets his Jose immitation down really well and does the phanton "Jose base, Jose base" call in :laugh: :laugh: :walking: :cool2:

they can really to me be just as good or better than a phone...and no worries of phanton calls to Ol' Mexico on the bill :laugh:
  4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Radios can be a good thing. To get the coverage you are looking for you are looking at a repeater system. Most communucation company have licenses for several frequencies. They then lease them or use them on a trunked system for thier customers. As far as cost I can't tell you.

On the ranch we hardly use our 2way system any more. Its cheaper to use the cellular phone(s)
  5. AUHort1990

AUHort1990 LawnSite Member

We use Motorola radios. They range from the P110 (older and I don't think they make anymore) to a P1225. Some of the guys have a newer model but I don't know the number. We have a repeater on one of our buildings but it in now way will get the kind of range you want. It may just be the kind of repeater we have though. All of our properties are downtown and all of our maintenance personnel have them. On a good day I can communicate to the from the other side of town (say if I am at Lesco) to downtown which is about 10 miles. And I have to be outside of the building.
  6. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

At the hospital we use motorola radios (downtown atlanta) My boss takes one home he lives down in Henry county We have a repeater on the roof He can here us fine
    Only problem we have is we share the same frequency with a catering service for a hotel Nobody seems to be able to find out where the hotel is
    (If it isnt a problem for day shift it isnt a problem)
  7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

at my part time towing job we have motorola radios in the trucks. there are atleast 5 guys at a time talking and weve sometimes been atleast 40+ miles away and they still work great. was thinking of getting some for the plow trucks this winter