1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hand held shaker screen?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by turfquip, Jun 12, 2001.

1. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

I was doing a planting yesterday thinking how nice it would be to have a portable, hand held trommel screen. Filter out lumps and rocks say, over 1" before you backfill your plants.

Anybody know of one? Stainless steel would be nice :), and oh yeah it needs replaceable and various sized screens.
  2. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

we have an 'old timer' here!

Just buy screened top soil and save yourself a LOT of time.

Last time I saw a hand screen was at a customers house and he asked if I wanted to borrow it for 'recycling' soil out of a walk install and reuse it for seeding. I declined.

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Not too hard to weld one up with screening or fence material, or even with some 2x4's if you can't weld. I've only ever seen home made ones.

Hope this helps!
  4. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember seeing Martha Stewart demonstrate making one. Not sure if you had to grow your own lumber first.
  5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Lanelle, going by what I can stand watching of Martha Stewart, your probobly right.

And Steve, your right, I would just go with the Screened soil if it was me, but you know how those "old timer's" are. ;)
  6. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Had a guy that I've been installing pavers for floor me yesterday. I was digging out for a new walk and about a foot down hit an old brick walk. Took dirt and brick and whatever else and piled in the drive with the intention of taking to the fill hole. He comes by and says "what are you gonna do with all that good dirt?" I then proceeded to tell him and he asked if I would sift out the junk and leave the dirt. I said that he probably didn't want to pay me my time for this and that if he wanted dirt I have yards of it that would be more cost effective. He decided that he would have his kids sift the junk out and save the dirt. Takes all kinds. This after doing $16K of pavers.