1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hand held trencher

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bushtrimmer, Aug 20, 2006.

1. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone ever seen any sort of hand held trencher for tight areas in landscape and around buildings?
    I picture something like a Stihl cut saw with a 1 - 1 1/2" blade on it. While I know that won't work (don't ask why) because it will get too gummed up, I'd think someones made something along those lines.
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I think they call it a shovel. Or a drain spade. Only something like a mattock could work in so narrow an area. Strictly hand power.
  3. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

try a trench master. i have one with a 2" wide by 8" deep blade. works pretty good.
  4. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Several years ago they had advertised a hand-held trencher. Looked like a chain saw with a wide bar and chain. It would cut up 11/2" wide trench. (they said) Perfect for CATV. Landscape lighting, irrigation systems (they said) Never saw one up close and personal and haven't seen the ads for over 10 yrs.

It would seem to be a pain to try and use that thing. Trying to hold it in the ground, keep the dirt out of your eyes, and not cut anything vital - on the ground and on your person.

A sharpshooter will get the job done and not near a s many headaches.
  5. It was called a ditchersaw and I used one in the early 90's. Company went out of Biz and you could not get replacement parts IE; sprockets, chain and teeth.
  6. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

7. WetWell

WetWell LawnSite Member

This one is beer powered-

8. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Now that's clever.
  9. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

it sounds like the ditchersaw is what I was thinking about. it's a shame noone makes anything like that anymore.
  10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It probably wasn't exactly safe. If you can't dig/drag enough of a trench by hand, then the question arises "why are you there?"