Hand held vac units

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Mowin4cash, Feb 6, 2001.

1. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

Are the little hand held vac units from Stihl and Echo sufficient for getting leaves out from liriope beds, junipers,around annuals, getting cig butts from tight areas?

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We use the echo with the steel knives and they work well. We are very happy and will be purchasing two more units this season.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

3. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the echo model 2400. It works well but you have to be careful because it will try to suck up everything. If it picks up someting too big it will stall, and you have to stop and remove the tube, and unclog it. Mulch and chips seem to be the worst culprit.

4. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

I'm really interested in this... using a vac could save us a LOT of time. I've heard of Stihl & Echo - what are your favorites (and why)?

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We use the ECHO because they have two sets of STEEL knives in them vs. the plastics impellers of others. Usually the plastic impellers will clog easier because they cannot brekadown the materials nearly as well. I have found them to be incredible time savers in the field during both seasonal clean-ups and shearing operations. We have even been able to offer clients a "vacuumed bed" as part of the service.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

6. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

As a follow up, can these blades be "sharpened" to further chop up leaves? Or are they fixed to the shaft?

Thanks,

Mike

7. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Which model Echos are you talking about?

8. KindGardener

9. KindGardener