Hand Helds vs Back Pack Blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Have read some insane reasoning for using Hand Held blowers here...the only possible reason is these guys are defending their HH because they're too cheap to dish out for Back Packs...

1)"BP's take too long to get on & off"----2 seconds Max
    2)"BP's are Big & Bulky"------Less strain having a unit on your back than carrying one & you don't spend as much time Blowing !
    3)"Only need a BP for leaves not mow & blows"----Never seen any company doing small residentials, unless they're complete scrubs, use a HH for mow & blows.

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i see no justification for what you said.

just because somone used a hh for a mow blow and go, i dont see that they are being cheap! they are easier when you just have to zip down a drive and back up. your only blowing grass off, not heavy leaves. they are much lighter to throw in and out of the truck and easier when your only going to be using them for under a minute.

so you are wrong in saying they are too cheap, its a matter of preference and convinience.

in certain situations handhelds are the "ultimate" blower.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

What happens if a company has both, hh and bp, and they still choose the hh for a lot of situations? then there goes your theory about them being cheap..........

Acute Cut likes this.
  4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 2 of each on the trailer. We use the handhelds 80% of the time. We do alot of apartment complexes and its just easier to get into the tight areas and corners to blow off the walks and patios with the H.H.. The back packs are only used in the rain. Also we use the HH for cleaning out shrub beds when we do the pruning. We couldnt do the job without them.

Acute Cut likes this.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We found that as we got bigger blowers the time to clean up on commericial property didn't improve. Now we are doing a lot more and actually not getting paid for it. We gather up more debris than we have to blow it across the grass until we can find someplace to hide the debris. On residential the big blowers are VERY hard on your back on/off 30 times a day? Some of the hh do nicely so we have two bp and two hh on each truck. Would you put on pb to blow off a 10x10 back porch or a 80 ft of sidewalk?

6. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Who the he11 do you think you are? I use a HH for some of my smaller mow and blow jobs and I dont feel I'm a scrub. I do quality work and I charge accordingly. What type of blower one chooses to use is solely a matter of personal preference. Some people prefer walk behinds over standers. Some prefer Walker over Exmark. So what. It's a free country, last time I checked. Who are you to decide that if someone doesn't do things the way you may choose, they are wrong, or that they are scrubs.

I get so sick of hearing these pompas opinions on this forum. Some people seem to think that they are god's gift to lawn care. They think their way is the only way.

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Why do you bash the handhelds? I saw you do this on another thread. Were you stood up at the prom by a handheld? To spend a minute blowing off a driveway, its $150 vs. $500. Plus, I see a lot of guys "handholding" backpacks when the blow driveways.

Its just a machine that blows air.

8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

he thinks his way is the "ultimate" way

9. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I must come to his defense. I used a hh until last year because I couldn't afford to put out 400.00. At the end of last year I got a bp and cut my blowing time by about 250%. I couldn't see ever buying a hh again. Now I don't mean to insinuate that anyone is a scrub here. Hell I started out as a scrub like I am sure many of us did. Takes time to build up equipment if you don't have cash for initial investment.

10. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

I guarantee in my area every legit LCO, & by legit I mean someone who's in it for a living & not beer money, uses BP's. The only guys using HH's are newbies or scrubs...That's just the way it is here....

So you blow a drive or Walkway w/a HH...You have to walk the Entire drive or walkway, deck etc...& Walk it slower....