Hand or Computer design?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Newguy25, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Newguy25

Newguy25 LawnSite Member

I am taking a Landscape Design college course. The class is all hand drawing. I asked today about computer programs and the teacher flipped. LOL What type of presentation do you prefer when presenting to customers? If you use a Computer program which one? Since the teacher would not recommend one. Thanks for the help.

2. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

Used to both haven't done a hand since landscape pro 12. I save so much time it is incredible. Dymon Woods0001.jpg

Dymon 3.jpg

Dymon Woods0001.jpg

Dymon 3.jpg

3. MaineFert

MaineFert LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I learned to hand draw all of my designs in college, but now we use DynaScape. Its a CAD based software that allows for very nice master plans.
    Also, hand drawing isn't a bad way to start, it gives a sense of creativity and helps visualize the plans, so I recommend hand drawing at least for the first couple. Other than that, DynaScape is a top notch program with many powerful features.

4. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

I was just discussing this in another thread. I think that if you use a combination of both it is best. My drawings will start on trace and then end up on the computer. I just think that is best. It is easiest for me that way to do something creative. I took a CAD For Landscape Desginers a year ago, To date it has been one of my favorite classes. My design teacher encourages the use of cad, "It is just another tool" she says.

5. Newguy25

Newguy25 LawnSite Member

I see you are from Western NY where did you take the class? I'm interested in taking it. Thanks

6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

You should really learn hand drawing whether you plan on drawing PLANS by hand or with cad. Only a few landscape plan drawing programs have set up some drawing standards that you don't have to worry about (Dynascape for one). The thing is that whether you draw by hand or with cad, you should apply the same principles. The only difference is that with one you hold a pen and the other a "pointing device". Line weight (thicness of lines), stiplling, hatching, and other basic drafting techniques are usually over looked by people who learn on cad without learning the basics of hand drawing. That is why CAD plans tend to look stiff and bland.

Don't worry about the teacher's biases. Just keep in mind that there are few techniques that you can not apply to cad drawing later. It is just a diffeent way of input.

7. MaineFert

MaineFert LawnSite Member
    from Maine

well said!

8. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

There are a lot of great hand drawing books like 'Plan and Section Drawing' by Thomas Wang that give great ponters on line weight and basic tricks for drawing. We hand draw every plan, I think it gives a certain softness to a plan drawing which otherwise can look cold and unfriendly.

9. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been told that 50% of Landscape Architects still draft by hand.

I guess they both have their place. I think hand drawing allows more creativity and originality, but computer is usually faster and allows for easier revisions.

10. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Travel trees.. I dont mean to be harsh.. But I would NEVER show a renderding that looked like that to a Client.. Ha not to mention the plant material selection is terrible.. the rendering itself is horrible