hand problem

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mowin4$, Dec 16, 2006.

1. mowin4$

mowin4$ LawnSite Member

im a owner operator for 10 yrs now and experiencing hand problems.my hands hurt,sometimes tingle,and have joint pains.seems like arthrits & carpol tunnel.any one else have these problems after years of using walk behind mowers?i think there are not many more years left for me to keep going.i do @ 30 accounts per week on a p/t basis.used to do as many as 65 /wk with a partner.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Motrin always takes my pain away.
    So do higher prices.
    Btw, your Wb is T-bar controlled, yes?

3. apowell18

apowell18 LawnSite Member

you are looking at some nerve issues from repetitive operations...possibly carpal tunnel as well...talk to your doctor...they have tests that will determine what it is...my hands tingle from time to time and go numb every now and then...i work assembly line and we have big problems with nerves and carpal tunnel...my issue is my ulna nerve that runs along the inside of the elbow...anyway...talk to your doctor and schedule some tests, keep it in check and find out now before it gets worse...there are many horror stories at work about people waiting too long and needing surgeries

4. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Probably Carpal Tunnel...Get the surgery and you'll be back in business.

5. mowin4$

mowin4$ LawnSite Member

i used scag walks for 9 years w/ pistol grips.this year i bought a stander and it helped a lot.

6. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

My fathers a fisherman and has the same issue he actually would drop his fork while eating. He's a tough guy but was nervous about the surgery. He had it done with scopes so the scaring and healing down time was low. Get the surgery, you'll enjoy mowing again

7. jslandscapecompany

jslandscapecompany LawnSite Member

After mowing for 20 years with walk behinds, the wife got tired of me dropping the coffee cups everywhere. Over last winter sold all my walk behinds and bought a Walker rider. One season later, all the tingling in the fingers is gone, my wrists no longer ache, and no more broken coffee cups.

8. Dean of Green

Dean of Green LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same problem with the tingling and occasional pain in the hands.
    For me it is due to all the vibrations of the equipment(edger and string trimmer mostly). A good pair of gloves helps. But what has helped most is I bought some black rubber foam pipe insulation. You can find this in the plumbing section at hardware store or Home Depot. Get some black duct tape and tape this to the handle of your hand held equipment. It cuts down on the vibrations greatly.
    Get a riding mower also............walk behinds are last resort mowers once you have a rider. Worth the investment.

9. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, I wish it were really that easy to get back in business. My acquaintance had that surgery and has been back to work in 8 weeks. She still says it hurts too bad.

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

A friend of mine is a dentist who had the surgery twice. The first time the results were bad but, apparently, they were able to perform it properly the second time. He's had no problems since.

Good luck mowin4$