1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hand spade/shovel

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bommaritro, Oct 5, 2003.

1. bommaritro

bommaritro LawnSite Member

My poor wife has been digging in the yard all day planting tulip and daffodil bulbs. Home garden is her baby and I am not allowed to touch it. She has broken three hand shovel since she started this morning. I tried to suggest using the electric drill with a bulb auger but she will have none of it. I think she really just wants time away from me or the kids so she digs by hand instead of using the auger. ;)

So I was curious if any of you have come across an industrial strength hand shovels that may last at least a few months longer the the cheapies she has bought at walmrt. It will make a great Christmas present for her if I can find such a product.

Thanks for the help.
  2. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

We make the cheap or good last long.

When I started business, I bought a $25 shovel with a closed back, and paid a welding service $30 to make and weld custom foot pads on the blade.

It did last 6 years.

But now, even $15 shovels last for a few in business.

We rarely pry.

I sharpen the shovels on a grinder before almost every project. Takes about 40% of the work out.

I despise fiberglass handles on shovels. Either too weak, or too massive and heavy. Now I stick to fiberglass on spring rake handles only.
  3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We have several all steel spade shovels that have been around forever. Not sure if they make hand tools, but I would have to imagine thay do.

If not, Union makes aluminum hand tools, that are worth the money. Not something that Walmart would cary. Try some local landscape suppliers. :cool:
  4. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

Wow, after hearing your wife broke three shovels I don't even have to ask who wears the pants in the house!!! :D

I have seen a brand of shovel at trade shows that has a blue handle and is made of 100% steel. The things are heavy, and weigh 3-4 times as much as a regular shovel. However, the only way you can break these things is by running over them with a truck. I think the run around 70 or eighty bucks each.

Other option is to give her a pick and a shovel.
  5. bommaritro

bommaritro LawnSite Member

Nah I wear the pants around my house at least when she lets me. :D You would be amazed at how tough my little 120lbs wife can be :D

Never thought about sharpening her hand tools despite how I sharpen all of my own stuff. I think most of the reason that they are breaking is due to use them for prying.

By the way this is the type of shovel that she is breaking.

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Saw a box of those on Ebay the other day. 65 count for $15.00 !

P.S. I used to live in Whitney Point, we must have been neighbors.
  7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Bommaritro,

I found these, stainless steel. Look pretty solid. Click image for link. $30 a piece!

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I know of the perfect shovel for your wife or any one who needs to do a lot of planting of small bulbs etc. I don't know the name becouse I think a few differnt co. make them but any good trapping supply house will carry them. When I use to trap we would use the shovels to chop small roots dig and chop frozen ground etc. I still have one that my wife uses thats over 30 yrs. old but there still made and available. the handles about 12 inches long and the spade is 3inches across and approx. 4inches long. Hope this helps keep you in the house.
  9. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

what you need to buy your wife is a Japanese Hori-Hori Knife . Good for digging, cutting and what ever else you want to do in the garden.
  10. cruzen

cruzen LawnSite Member