Hand spreader

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Feb 3, 2013.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Anyone got good recommendation for a small chest or hand spreader? Looking for something to spread fire ant bait or snap shot type products.

2. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Don't laugh but I use one of those hand held Scotts type you can get from Lowes and Depot. They work great and are solid. I never used a chest pack but they just look uncomfortable and a lot of trouble to put on and get going.

3. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone who is cool that I know uses one of these including but not limited to myself. It fits in the rear tray of a Z-Max too, holds twenty pounds or so and is bulletproof and cheap in my opinion at 80 bucks. I use mine every day on smalls, tight spots, medians etc and have had the same one for three years.

Honestly? I have a brand new stainless steel Lesco spreader with the deflector and third hole shutoff handles and haven't used it since I bought this thing other than to spread some seed now and then.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/G44421/Solo-Portable-Spreader

4. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I use a small Earth Way hand spreader to spread rye grass seed in tight places, sure it would work well also for your needs.

5. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

used to buy the scotts until they cheapened them up so much i could not get them to last more than half a day. DONT go that route. we now have the ones linked by cadzilla, and they are totally awesome.

6. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

i use the solo chest spreader also. it has a very good adjustable pattern.
    couple things i dont like about though-
    -its very akward walking a slope with it
    -your right hand/arm get covered in product
    -the on/off slide sticks , ive snapped the little lever off a few times,
    i suggest a regular shot of pb or wd on the outside of it - it helps tremendously

ive used mine for 3 yrs now, the only parts its needed are the on/off lever, and the little rate adjust knob (my fault it -it loosens and falls off easy)

handheld i like the scotts best, nice spread, but short lived.

still waiting for that elusive commercial duty handheld to be made

7. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto. It definitely needs cleaning now and then and some lubrication helps although I haven't broken the levers yet.

On hills I grab the left side underneath and tilt it up as I crank but yeah it sucks.

I also don't recommend spreading dylox or dusties. You can run into some exposure issues.

8. precision8m

precision8m LawnSite Senior Member

I have the earthway one but it is awkward. Would love to hear about a good one.