Hand Tools

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rcracer, Jan 28, 2008.

1. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

O.K. this may be a dumb question but what are the hand tools that I would need. I see people talk about hand tools what all should I keep in my truck?:usflag:

2. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

O yeah this is my first year that is why i am asking.:usflag:

3. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I keep a leaf rake, 2 spring rakes, 2 hard rakes, mulch shovel(snow shovel), pitchfork, a spade and a flat shovel, broom, and an ax. Plus a toolbox with an assortment of tools.

4. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

Thanks I have a few things but I will keep collecting. Do you guys keep a big trash can with you for anything? I seen a couple of them on peoples trailers.:usflag:

5. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I forgot about that. I keep two green barrels and two tarps. Some other random things that I keep in the trailer are a fire extinguisher, a small jack and jack stand, hand pruners, loppers, hand saw, tire repair kit, gloves, bungees, oil, blades, and anything else that I think that I might need.

6. Fahzu

Fahzu LawnSite Member

shovel, trenching shovel, leaf rake, bow rake, hula hoe, claw cultivator(short and long), loppers, shears, grass shears, hand pruner, broom, scoop shovel, trowel, sod cutter(sickle-shaped)...great for tropicals, and I don't know what I would to without my trash bin. We use green waste containers here that go out with the weekly trash, but they are cumbersome and the 30gal. trash bin is the perfect size for toting rubish from far reaches of the property to the green waste bin.

7. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

thanks fellas what is a hulla hul and a lopper? dont laugh i just never heard of those before. thanks for the help.:usflag:

8. Midstate Lawncare

Midstate Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing else I can think of except.....are you a midget?....if not, get all LONG HANDLED SHOVELS!!! you will kill your back. Also when you go to buy a "tool" one is $34.99, one is $24.99, one is $21.99 and one is $7.99..... there is a reason the last one is $7.99....don't buy the cheapest. If I were given these options I would buy the $24.99 option, and always keep at least $100.00 cash on you to get a "new tool" WHEN you break one. hope I helped.

9. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what a hulla hul is, but a lopper is a pruner that you use for cutting bigger branches that you wouldn't use hand pruners for.

10. Fahzu

Fahzu LawnSite Member

Sorry guys, It's taking me too long to try to post a picture or a link. Anyway a hula hoe is also called a double action hoe or a circle hoe. Google it for an image. It's a weeding tool that looks like a double edged blade in the shape of a rectange on the end of a long handle. The center is open so that it basiclally cuts through the soil getting under the weeds. Only problem is, it often cuts the root which can be only a temporary fix. It's hard to use in clay soils, that's why I also carry the claw.